4.1.2 JB???

Uncle Reemus

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
All that I've been reading about on here is that the 4.1.2 update is a battery killer and not worth doing.... is this true?
I just tried to connect to Kies to find it and it says that I am current at 4.1.1....

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't count on it being a battery killer or anything like that. If someone updated from 4.0 to 4.1.2 directly, they might think it is a battery killer for the same reason some people had a problem with the 4.1.1 update. Screen brightness, Google Now pulling up maps, Media having a problem with a corrupted file on a MicroSD card, and things like that are typical problems that people have reported with Jelly Bean. Some apps can also have a problem not surviving an update without problems, and that might be causing a battery drain for some people.

Uncle Reemus

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Is there a release date for it yet, and if I update to it when it comes, can I easily switch back to 4.1.1 if I don't like it?
I'm new to the android world so there are quite a few things that I'm still learning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

CrazyCamel369#AC

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can always downgrade. Welcome to the awesome open world of Android!

Edit: No release date yet. Just do know not to hold your breath because at&t takes forever to release updates :'(

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Is there a release date for it yet, and if I update to it when it comes, can I easily switch back to 4.1.1 if I don't like it?
I'm new to the android world so there are quite a few things that I'm still learning.

They don't give dates for these updates. If they decide to push it out, they'll either say it's coming soon or they won't say anything until it's out and then make an announcement. The carriers got away from giving dates because if they run into a snag and have to delay it, all the impatient jackasses who don't understand what goes into these kinds of updates start screaming and yelling, saying that Samsung & AT&T lied, and blah, blah, blah. So they don't give dates any more.

If you update to 4.1.2, you won't be able to revert to 4.1.1 unless you root and either (1) do a nandroid on your phone before updating; or (2) download and flash a stock 4.1.1 image from AC or XDA forums.

There is a fairly decent chance, though, that Samsung may skip the 4.1.2 update for the GS3. I think a lot of the new functionality, other than photosphere, has already been added by Samsung, so they may skip it and provide us with 4.2 later on. No real rumors either way yet.

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
If you update to 4.1.2, you won't be able to revert to 4.1.1 unless you root and either (1) do a nandroid on your phone before updating; or (2) download and flash a stock 4.1.1 image from AC or XDA forums.

That is incorrect as you can always use ODIN to rule back to a previous version. Is it as easy as just uninstalling the update? No, but you don't have to root to do it. This will reset the phone to factory defaults though.

There is a fairly decent chance, though, that Samsung may skip the 4.1.2 update for the GS3. I think a lot of the new functionality, other than photosphere, has already been added by Samsung, so they may skip it and provide us with 4.2 later on. No real rumors either way yet.

I think you are confusing 4.1.2 with 4.2.1. 4.1.2 includes the multi-window premium feature pack that Samsung released to the Galaxy Note 2 and I believe the international S3 (but I could be wrong on if it's released yet). 4.1.2 contains application updates and some bug fixes. Photosphere is not part of it. 4.2.1 is the latest release of Jelly Bean that has even more expanded notifications, lockscreen widgets, multi-user (for tablets at least), photosphere, a few other enhancements/bug fixes and new bugs. So far it is only officially available on Nexus devices as I am unaware of any MFG releasing anything running 4.2.1. CM10.1 is built on 4.2.1, but it has some buggyness still with the dual microphones as well as some bluetooth A2DP support issues (core android bug I believe).

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
KreepyKen: That is not correct. 4.1.2 for the S3 is already out for many in Europe. It adds the "Premium Suite", as well as the split screen feature from the Note 2. Android 4.2.x may be skipped, but not 4.1.2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech