Broken screen. Help needed (galaxy s3)

Robert Rj Rankin

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
So I dropped my phone from about 3 feet and it landed perfectly enough to shatter the lower quarter of my screen. I was a little relieved to see that they're selling for $150 on ebay with broken screens. The phone still works just not the screen (I made a bluetooth call shortly after breaking). Long story short I've attempted every way of restoring my phone and can't get it to take. Is it possible to download android 4.1.1 and do a fresh install through kies? Or can at very least delete my contacts without actually seeing the screen? I would like to sell but don't want to provide someone I don't know with all my contacts. I've attempted the hold volume+, home, power then volume down 3 press power, volume down 6 press power, restore method enough times to have a headache to no avail.

Thanks for your help.

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
If you can't see the contacts then someone else probably can't but I know that is not a lot of comfort. If you have your contacts in gmail web account and you sync with itthen you should make a backup caopy of your gamil contacts from the web and the delete all contacts (you can do same with calendar and photos if you sync them). If you then sync the phone will be clean of the contacts. Another possibility is to connect phone to your PC by USB and then erase the data. I do not know the file name but you might be able to figure it out when you see file names or maybe Samsung tech support can tell you the file name.

Robert Rj Rankin

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm thinking people are buying them to repair the screens so eventually whoever buys my phone will be able to see the screen. Have no contacts in Gmail. Can't see my phone when connected to USB on my Mac but can see using Kies. Can't find the contacts in Kies though. This is my first android phone from osx. With apple I was able to download OS to my computer and manually put them on the phone. Was hoping I could download android OS 4.1.1 sbu and put it on the phone using the restore in Kies (if that makes sense)

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well I have to admit I know almost zero about a MAC (I use a real computer :) ). If you were able to manually put the numbers in thru your MAC can't you use the same process to delete them? Also, with Kies on the PC you can sync your contacts. So can't you sync the contacts delete them from the MAC and sync again. If you have access to a PC then you can also try my suggestion about deleting the file once connected by USB

Robert Rj Rankin

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I'll try with my girlfriends PC. I can't manually put any numbers in with my mac. Can't find my contacts at all. Just a little surprised there isn't a factory restore available in kies. Again this is my first android phone and it's my understanding that kies is to android what itunes is to iphone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon