1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    660 Global Posts

Default Swiftkey 4 - doesn't Stick

I have been using Swiftkey since version 3. I recently upgraded to version 4 and now each time I restart my SG 3, it reverts to the default keyboard.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any comments.

-Rich
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

Default Re: Swiftkey 4 - doesn't Stick

Your answer was here waiting!

Default keyboard issue

If you're rooted, this is what I did to fix it (you can find this in the thread linked above):

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreii View Post
    This actually led me to another solution...though it has similar requirements.

I didn't really want to uninstall and install from .apk - I believe you would lose your learned personalizations and it would lose the Play Store connect i.e. no updates.

I instead chose to try using Titanium Backup to FREEZE both Samsung Keyboard and Swype (since you can't disable them). So far it seems that this fixes it for me.

The problem is that when the phone boots up, Swiftkey is not yet available to the system (as a 3rd party app) when the default keyboard is chosen. It then defaults back to Samsung Keyboard. If you freeze both Samsung Keyboard and Swype, I presume it finds no keyboards available and sets nothing as default...and then when Swiftkey becomes available a few moments later it goes AHA there's a keyboard, default! At least that's how I imagine it lol.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    660 Global Posts

Thanks.
    I cleared the Samsung Keyboard data and restarted but it did not help. I had contacted Swiftkey Support on Sunday but haven't received any reply yet.

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreii View Post
    Your answer was here waiting!

Default keyboard issue

If you're rooted, this is what I did to fix it (you can find this in the thread linked above):
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

Quote Originally Posted by richv77 View Post
    Thanks.
    I cleared the Samsung Keyboard data and restarted but it did not help. I had contacted Swiftkey Support on Sunday but haven't received any reply yet.

-Rich
    Swiftkey support will just tell you the same thing they've told others. The problem is with Android 4.1. It's since been fixed in 4.2...which we don't have yet on this device.

The problem is easy to fix with root...without root you don't have many options.

If you're not rooted, see post 3 in this thread: Keyboard Problems

I haven't tried it, but maybe it will solve the problem.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

I have the same issue with Swift key 3. Very frustrating as it doesn't seem that you should have to change the keyboard every time you restart the phone. But as was mentioned, the only response I've seem from Swift Key is that it isn't their fault and there is nothing they can do about it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

It is definitely and issue with google play store. I deleted app and purchased it from Amazon ($1.99) and that solved it. Also you can purchase directly from Swiftkey and install. Swiftkey is aware of problem and have communicated problem to google.

Hi.
    Some refer to the fact that it's not SwiftKey that is malfunctioning because other keyboardapps fail to start with boot as well. Touch pal keyboard start just fine here but not SwiftKey so it has to do something with how the program is coded to, even if it seems to work if you buy it from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by secretsavage View Post
    Hi.
    Some refer to the fact that it's not SwiftKey that is malfunctioning because other keyboardapps fail to start with boot as well. Touch pal keyboard start just fine here but not SwiftKey so it has to do something with how the program is coded to, even if it seems to work if you buy it from Amazon.
    Is touch pal paid or free and did it come from play store?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

Unfortunately the only "fix" is to install Keyboard Picker. It's a workaround. When you restart your phone, it pops up and prompts you to choose your keyboard. SwiftKey will be one of the options.

If you're rooted you can use Keyboard Manager.

Thanked by:

The only keyboard I can get to "stick" is the Google keyboard. Aside from the lack of customization I actually prefer it.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

Got the Keyboard Manager app from the Play Store. I was already rooted so it works perfectly. Thanks

Thought it was awesome when I discovered it. Hated always having to change back to Swiftkey whenever the phone rebooted.