1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Can you disable the power button on the S3?

It seems that this phone shuts off or restarts way to easily.

I've always had an iphone so this is my first android, and with the iphone you hold down the power button and then have to swipe across the screen to turn the phone off. With the Galaxy it seems that all you have to do is barely press the power button for a second or two and the phone powers down or restarts (even when the screen is locked!).

Is there any way to keep it from doing that? I have looked in the settings on the phone to see if I can figure it out, but it looks like I need some help.

My phone keeps getting turned off in my purse and pockets.

Default Re: Can you disable the power button on the S3?

the phone shouldnt reboot / shut down just by holding the power button down it requires you to select an action restart, turn off

if your having allot of reboots might be a faulty power button

That's true. Pressing the power button for one second brings up a menu to power off, restart, or go to airplane mode. However, in your pocket or purse, pressure may be applied to the screen to select one of those options (pockets being the worst).
    If it's a phone problem,I would expect it would happen by carrying it in your hand. You might also check to ensure the battery is seated properly, it could be breaking contact inside the phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    If at first you don't succeed, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

I have the same problem, when I want to run with my Samsung 3S phone. Putting it into the arm-band always turns the phone off, since the power-button is so sensitive. I would like to disable the power button, can you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sofie Jakobsen View Post
    I have the same problem, when I want to run with my Samsung 3S phone. Putting it into the arm-band always turns the phone off, since the power-button is so sensitive. I would like to disable the power button, can you do that?
    There is no way for the phone to turn off in that fashion. Press and hold power for about a second brings up a popup that takes a touch of Human Skin to select what to do. If you hold the button for about 5-7 seconds it does a Reboot. There is no way to turn off the phone using just the power button. That said there could be a another issue causing the phone to Shut Off. Battery not fitting properly and moving around while jogging could be one way.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3 (No KNOX)

If My post has helped please hit the Thanks Button

Unused Ram is Wasted Ram

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sofie Jakobsen View Post
    Is that some generic "fits the Galaxy S3" case that you are using? I've noticed that many cases(of various types) that are sold for phones are not really designed with any given phone in mind, and they just check if the phone will fit. A proper case, or holder, or whatever should NEVER have the power button getting hit just from being in there, and the power button, and preferably volume controls should be exposed so you can still use them while in the case/holder.

hello I am having the same issue with my power button. Its not that there is anything wrong its the way it works. I keep my s3 in my pocket all day along with pens, change, business cards... and if sit at my desk a little to close to the arm on then left side i seem to hit the power(lock) button in a way that brings up the menu and then something hits it and it reboots. 3-4 times a day. If I leave it on my desk it never reboots. There is no hardware issue, its in the way it operates.

Is there an app similar to widgetlocker that I can add a swipe to turn off?
    Just holding down the power button and have my phone reboot all day is very annoying.

@famouzstarz#AC
    the phone shouldnt reboot / shut down just by holding the power button down it requires you to select an action restart, turn off
    if your having allot of reboots might be a faulty power button

not true. Hold down your lock button for 15 sec and it reboots everytime without the menu ever coming up and it bypasses all lock pins or lock screen security

Any Tips or ideas

Thanks

I had this very same problem and this app helped me solve the problem. It blocks the power button menu when screen is locked. Works for me!

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeppe509 View Post
    I had this very same problem and this app helped me solve the problem. It blocks the power button menu when screen is locked. Works for me!

I was hoping to use this to stop the phone from rebooting after you hold the power button for 5 - 7 seconds... it does block the power menu. but still reboots my phone.. (Galaxy S4)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws4God View Post
    I was hoping to use this to stop the phone from rebooting after you hold the power button for 5 - 7 seconds... it does block the power menu. but still reboots my phone.. (Galaxy S4)
    I have the same problem on my S3 mini, I guess you need to root your phone to prevent this.

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

I have the Speck case and it makes it just a little harder to push the button. Might help.

Quote Originally Posted by D16RR View Post
    I have the Speck case and it makes it just a little harder to push the button. Might help.
    The OtterBox Defender case does that also-the power button is completely covered with the case's own "button" making it a LOT harder to press.

There is defenetaly a design issue with the power button placed on the side of the phone. Not only because it can turn the phone on and off but also because it is placed at a point that whether u want it or not you will press it while doing other things. It is right across the volume buttons and trying to adjust sound needs pressure to be applyed on the other side. I have turned off the camera e.g. many times just by accidenticaly pressing the power button. Its an elementary design mistake and i have written to samsung about it

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kollaros View Post
    There is defenetaly a design issue with the power button placed on the side of the phone. Not only because it can turn the phone on and off but also because it is placed at a point that whether u want it or not you will press it while doing other things. It is right across the volume buttons and trying to adjust sound needs pressure to be applyed on the other side. I have turned off the camera e.g. many times just by accidenticaly pressing the power button. Its an elementary design mistake and i have written to samsung about it
    Totally agree, Also why i like the top power button on the Htc One that everyone complains about.
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador