chrome won't save default setting

here4kids

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
does anyone know how to fix that? I select it, say ok, but it no longer saves it as the default. I have removed chrome and reinstalled it... no effect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
What default setting are you referring to? Are you referring to the dialog that pops up when you select a link in another app, asking you to select which app you want to make the default? Or are you referring to a setting within Chrome?

here4kids

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
yes. that pop up. I select chrome vs Internet, say always, am informed where to change it. but I get the message over and over again.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've not encountered this. Does it happen ONLY with the browsers, or with other apps, too? If it's just the browsers, try this:

Go into the Application manager (in Settings), scroll right to the All tab, then scroll down and select Chrome. Scroll down and clear defaults, then do a force stop. Repeat for the standard browser. Let us know what happens.

here4kids

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
yes, it affects other apps, but not all. my texting default stays, but my photo app does not. I have cleared the defaults you mentioned and also deleted and reinstalled. it worked fine for months, this is a recent problem.

here4kids

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I removed chrome for now... the stock browser is much better than when I first tried it. then I just live with other "non saved" defaults.

here4kids

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
please share of you find them! I found my phone would save chrome as default, I could see it under the app, then it would revert back. I'm thinking a complete reset would work, but I'm not ready for that.

lallen3

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue as well on the Galaxy S4. The sprint store is clueless. This is a huge issue that people assume they must simply live with. My YouTube (as default app for YouTube links) preference won't save. The browsers are the same.. Chrome or Internet. I disabled Chrome and the stock browser just never remembers defaults. I hate it. New phone and same problems as S3.

Thainfamous20v

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I have this same problem.. Thought it was chrome at first but it's more than that.. Could it be a virus scanning app or something preventing access to saving defaults? Just throwing that out there.. Galaxy s4 T-Mobile.

tjw321

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
This is probably a bit late but I have been having this problem too, and this is the first result that showed up when I was searching for a solution. The reason I'm posting is that I found a solution that worked for me - so hopefully it will help others too.
I finally worked out that, in my case, the problem wasn't with saving the default, it was with the Play Store resetting it! When you install an app which can become a default for something, that default has to be cleared so that the next time you perform the action you can be asked if you want the new app to perform it for you. Well, somewhere in the installation of some app the instruction to clear the defaults had got stuck in the Play Store app's cache (this probably isn't how it actually works but it gives the right flavour).
I fixed my problem by opening the Play Store app, changing a few settings and then closing the app. You can change them back again, but the saving of the new settings seems to have stopped the default apps setting from being cleared all the time. Maybe clearing the Play Store's application data will work too, but I didn't try that.
Hopefully my problem stays fixed, and this can help a few other people fix their problems.

wickedstitch

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Removing the kohls app solved the issue. Thank you! I recently did a factory reset thinking it would solve the issue and it did nothing except have me have to set my phone back up! Thank you thank you.
If anyone is still having this issue, check to see if you have the Kohls app. If so, delete it and check to see if your issue is resolved

bonerp

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm having this exact same from on 2 galaxy Tab 2 10.4 I have. Apart from this Kohl app which isn't on the device, any other ideas?