Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By meyerweb
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Carrier
    stock

Question s3 won't charge/won't hold a charge. My apologies if this is old, but...

I've looked everywhere for a problem like what I'm experiencing, and I haven't found anything similar. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it!

I got my s3 back in December. It worked fine up until yesterday. Yesterday morning, I unplugged my s3 from being on the charger overnight, the battery was at 100% I checked gmail, and the battery went down to 67%. 15 minutes later, noticed It was down to 30%. Using a navigation app that I know sucks a lot of juice, off to work I went, and the battery was at 12%. I plugged the phone into the charger around 7am, left it there and ran an errand, the phone was finally at 100% by 2:30. Took it off the charger, it immediately went down to 30% then bounced back up to 100%, so I decided to take it to at&t warranty store. The guy backed up pix and music and contacts, and "re-flashed" stock rom (my phone has never been rooted to begin with), and he gave me a new battery - told me these phones are miniature computers and I have too many apps and sent me on my way.

With my new battery installed, I got home and left the phone off the charger. Overnight the new battery went from 34% to 2%. It took 6 hours to charge up to 57%. I don't have but maybe a dozen apps back on my phone.

My phone has fallen off the coffee table maybe half a dozen times in the last 6 months, sometimes the charger pulled out, sometimes it didn't. My original oem cable still sits in the charge port snugly with no play. I'm wondering if it could still be the charge port? I do have a replacement cable and when I tried it, it made no difference in charge time.

That's everything I can think of off the top of my head. I've been searching all day and haven't found where anyone else has experienced this. If someone with more know-how than I have can point me in the right direction to continue my search, as I've all ready said, I would really be grateful.

Default Re: s3 won't charge/won't hold a charge. My apologies if this is old, but...

First I would look under "battery" in the settings menu. It will tell you if there's a particular app that draining the battery. But it actually sounds like for some reason your phone is not reading the battery correctly. Especially since the readings seem to go up and down. I would try using an app to calibrate the phone and battery. I have never had the need to use one, but there are plenty of free ones in the app store.

Also, I'm sure you plugged it in when the phone told you the battery is low, but you might want to see if the phone actually dies. Although I normally would not let the battery die completely, but it will help you determine if the phone is actually out of power or if it just reading the amount of power left incorrectly.

It could also be the charging block that you plug into the outlet.

Having done all that, plus what you already have done, I would say it's a defective phone.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Carrier
    stock

Default Re: s3 won't charge/won't hold a charge. My apologies if this is old, but...

thanks for responding - I forgot to bring the phone in the house last night, the new battery seems to have 'stabilized'...it only went from 87% down to 75% overnight. Will keep an eye on it and contact at&t again if it continues. Thanks for your time!

Glad it seems to be working for you, but the AT&T rep is an *****. There's no such things as having "too many apps," unless you don't have the storage for all of them.
    Tifini Jackson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Glad it seems to be working for you, but the AT&T rep is an *****. There's no such things as having "too many apps," unless you don't have the storage for all of them.
    I was wondering about this. I have 250+ apps.
    A friend of mine tells me that I have too many all the time.
    I guess if someone has as many apps as I do, they increase their risk of downloading an app w/ bad code that ends up hindering the overall performance of their phone. But I think it's disingenuous to say that one can have too many apps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I have the exact same problem they replaced my charger port for what they said oxidization but i never got my phone soaked i have tried tons of different chargers but it just does the same thing

Global Posts
    30,921 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by Braeden Cole Randell View Post
    I have the exact same problem they replaced my charger port for what they said oxidization but i never got my phone soaked i have tried tons of different chargers but it just does the same thing
    Oxidation has nothing to do with water. Since these components are typically nickel or nickel plated, there is still a small possibility of oxidation. How has the replacement been so far?

I started having this same issue over the last wk or so. I purchased 2 new batteries as replacements. Still having the same issues with the new ones. Another thing that I experienced several times before; my phone while on the charger got extremely hot while charging! I couldn't even hold it in my hand. I figured maybe because my phone ended up halfway under my pillow while asleep was the reason. This his now happened at least 3 times. The other 2 I had it on the window pane overnight charging and still the same happened. I'm not certain what to do from here short of purchasing a new phone but I've only had this one for just over a yr. did you find any resolution?

same here it went under my sheets then when i woke up it cant hold a charge pass 30%. already tried switching batteries, when i put my battery on another phone it reads as 100%. also tried different chargers and outlet. it did went back to normal for about a day until it drained down to 30 and can never recover. any clue how to fix this? trying to fix it without replacing the phone.