Dropped calls when notifications come through

shindagrl

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that my Galaxy S3 phone has started dropping calls. I realize this is a common problem, and I've done everything from getting Disconnect Shield to prevent facial hangups, to getting a Native Union Pop retro headset, which is a fabulous accessory! I've noticed that every time a call is dropped, it is because a notification from one of the other apps has come through at that moment. It makes no difference whether the phone is on loud, vibrate, or silent, nor does it matter if WiFi is on or not. I don't want to stop notifications, as that's one of the things I love about smartphones, but I'm sick of hanging up on people, too. I'm running Jellybean 4.1.1, and I've checked and there are no updates available from my carrier.

I appreciate any suggestions!!!

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Open the phone Dialer and tap the Menu soft key and choose Settings. Now tap Call alert and remove the check mark in the box next to Alerts on call.

shindagrl

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else with call drops noticed this as the cause? I've seen a lot of posts about dropped calls on the S3, but only one who had tied the notifications coming through as the cause. I've had the phone for 9 months or so and it has only started being a problem over the last month or so. It's pretty pathetic to have to warn everyone I talk to and make a What If plan for disconnect.....

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
About the only time I drop calls is when I get into a no coverage area (for example, when the doors to an elevator close), or driving into an underground parking garage. I have that setting unchecked, and don't get notifications in calls. It sounds like even though the setting shows as unchecked, behind the scenes that setting is not being followed. I'd suggest checking it, rebooting, and then unchecking it. See if that makes a diference.

If not, clear cache and data for the phone app. Go to Settings / Application manager, scroll right to the All tab, then to the Phone app. Tap there, and then tap Clear data, followed by Force stop. Then restart he phone app, make sure that value is unchecked, and hope for the best.

shindagrl

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I've given both suggestions above a try....I'll let you know if it seems to have fixed the problem. I have a replacement phone that was sent for another (resolved) reason, but am hesitant to switch over. It's a refurb and the same thing could happen, and it's just a pain in the watoosi.

Thank you!

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered it may be an app that isn't working properly that is causing your problem? I would back up your phone, then do a factory restore to clear EVERYTHING, restore contacts, but leave apps uninstalled until you test if the problem is still there.

Keep in mind that people who upgraded to Jelly Bean will sometimes have issues that only clearing to factory(which leaves the updated firmware alone) fixes, and you may be running into some corrupted setting(s) that are causing your problem.

jcrew168

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I've been having this issue, which is why I'm searching forums for a solution... it's actually interrupting my business at this point. I drop every call I am on when a notification comes through. I've turned off my wifi connection, as well as the other suggestions in this thread. Still dropping. I have 4G service at my home, and with previous Android phones, 3G phones, Blackberries, and my husband's iPhone, there are no drop call issues. Very frustrating to say the least.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
I drop every call I am on when a notification comes through.
Well, that's certainly not standard behavior. When did the problem start?
Have you already performed a Factory Reset?

You mentioned your mobile data signal strength (by virtue of having a 4G connection) but didn't say anything about your cellular signal (how many bars). You could try a couple of apps to better quantify that:

GSam Battery Monitor Pro http://market.android.com/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro will show you a detailed breakdown of your cellular signal over time
aru2urun.jpg
SignalCheck Lite http://market.android.com/details?id=com.blueline.signalchecklite will give you an instantaneous look at the respective signal strengths
5u3y4e9e.jpg

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user