Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By meyerweb
  • 1 Post By pazzo02
  • 1 Post By meyerweb
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

Default launch by default selection pop-up

That thing where the phone asks whether you want an app to perform an operation "just once" or "always" is a pain in my ***. Any way to make it go away?

Default Re: launch by default selection pop-up

That'll pop up every time your phone detects you have two associated apps for what you want to do. The only way to 'get rid of it' is to select the "ALWAYS" option. That way, unless you clear that default by going into the App Manager, the system will know to always do that action with your selected application and not ask you again.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

no way to remove that short of rooting? That sucks. Maybe some future update will add the "don't focking ask me again" check box

SpookDroid gave your the correct way to handle the pop-up. Just like a PC you get a popup if more than one piece of software will open a file to choose from. If you choose not to make a choice to use one or the other that is not the fault of the OS.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3 (No KNOX)

If My post has helped please hit the Thanks Button

Unused Ram is Wasted Ram
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GTWalling View Post
    SpookDroid gave your the correct way to handle the pop-up. Just like a PC you get a popup if more than one piece of software will open a file to choose from. If you choose not to make a choice to use one or the other that is not the fault of the OS.
    Thanks, I had no idea it was rude to question the almighty android os. I'll go back to accepting every aggravating oversight in the design.

It's not an oversight in the design, it's an oversight in the user. When that pops up, make a choice, and tap "Always." Then you won't get the prompt for that particular action ever again.

If you don't tell the OS which app you want to take a particular action, what do you expect it to do? Read your mind?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    GTWalling likes this.

Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Quote Originally Posted by D16RR View Post
    Thanks, I had no idea it was rude to question the almighty android os. I'll go back to accepting every aggravating oversight in the design.
    Maybe you should go back to Apple then.
    HTC Inspire 4G - retired
    HTC One X+ (HOX+)
    GTWalling likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    It's not an oversight in the design, it's an oversight in the user. When that pops up, make a choice, and tap "Always." Then you won't get the prompt for that particular action ever again.

If you don't tell the OS which app you want to take a particular action, what do you expect it to do? Read your mind?
    Read the post, genius. I'm fine selecting an app. I use several to open email attachments, for example. I object to constantly having to tell the OS no, I don't want to make it default. It's a new thing with JB and I was hoping to turn it off. Apparently finding fault with the OS rankles the fan base to the point they all just chime in without even reading the OP. I'll temper my remarks in the future to avoid causing you to get hiccups from your latte.

Excuse me. I never realized tapping one button was such an onerous task. I, for one, am glad I don't have to choose which app I want to use to open a PDF every single time I want to open one.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    GTWalling likes this.

Question Re: launch by default selection pop-up

is there another fix if that suggestion doesnt work? when im selecting always another pop up tells me to go to application manager and clear default. which I go there but there is no default its set to or to clear. its greyed out and not an option. what can you do in that instance? Just keep pressing the just once everytime cause the always option doesnt work!!! for phone calls and browsing internet. I'm new to the droid jelly been scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Olivero View Post
    is there another fix if that suggestion doesnt work? when im selecting always another pop up tells me to go to application manager and clear default. which I go there but there is no default its set to or to clear. its greyed out and not an option. what can you do in that instance? Just keep pressing the just once everytime cause the always option doesnt work!!! for phone calls and browsing internet. I'm new to the droid jelly been scene.

Laura O.-This is my issue too. I hit 'always' every time but it still pops up and asks me every time anyway. Then I go to app manager to try and manually set my defaults but there are no options there, just a greyed out 'clear defaults' button. Apparently my defaults are never being saved even though I hit 'always.'
    Yes, as some say, it is easy enough to hit buttons and choose, but every time I want to open anything I have to cycle through two separate pop ups...Annoying! This is clearly a design flaw, not a user flaw as some have said.

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    That'll pop up every time your phone detects you have two associated apps for what you want to do. The only way to 'get rid of it' is to select the "ALWAYS" option. That way, unless you clear that default by going into the App Manager, the system will know to always do that action with your selected application and not ask you again.
    I seem to get that message frequently for the same operations; the call icon in text messaging, clicking a Call hyperlink in browser, selecting a contact from Contacts. Is there any way to set the phone to default for all possible scenarios so I don't have to pick for every call I make?

It should give you the option of "Always" doing the same for similar content... unless a pesky app is clearing the defaults every time (I know Skype had a bug once that did this; some Viber users report the same but not all).

Quote Originally Posted by jws217 View Post
    I seem to get that message frequently for the same operations; the call icon in text messaging, clicking a Call hyperlink in browser, selecting a contact from Contacts. Is there any way to set the phone to default for all possible scenarios so I don't have to pick for every call I make?
    I wonder if jelly bean saves the default on a per-contact basis? if so, I agree that there should be some way of setting a global default. Does anyone know of one?