Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eOx
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Grand Tech

Global Posts
    1,238 Global Posts

Default Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

I'm on a Bluetooth earpiece (Plantronics Voyager Pro HD) 97% of the day. For me, it is very annoying to have to remove my phone from my pocket to see who is calling. I would love to hear the name of the contact instead which would put me in a mostly hands free situation and increase safety when driving. I've tried most of the "talking caller id" apps in the Play Store but I have not found a single one that works over Bluetooth on Jellybean. Enhanced Caller ID+ and Talking Caller ID+ work very well... IF Bluetooth functionality is not needed.

Anyone know of a better app?
    Last edited by jswinde; 01-01-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Default Re: Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

I know you probably don't want to hear someone say "try a new headset" but... Try a new headset. Jawbone has a "companion app" that in conjunction with the functionality of the earpiece allows you to hear the phone number of the person that's calling you.

Plantronics Vocalyst app may be something you could use though as well. Not familiar with it, but it may be a similar feature set to the jawbone one.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Grand Tech

Global Posts
    1,238 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tplace 1976 View Post
    I know you probably don't want to hear someone say "try a new headset" but... Try a new headset. Jawbone has a "companion app" that in conjunction with the functionality of the earpiece allows you to hear the phone number of the person that's calling you.
    You're right... I'm in love with the fit and call quality of my VPro. Talking caller id is the only thing missing. Plus, I would need to hear the contact's name and not just the phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by tplace 1976 View Post
    The Plantronics Vocalyst app may be something you could use though as well. Not familiar with it, but it may be a similar feature set to the jawbone one.
    The Vocalyst app doesn't seem to have any of this functionality plus it has terrible reviews in the Playstore.

Hi Jswinde, I've been pulling my hair out over this problem for over 6 months and still can't get it working. I too use a bluetooth headset most of the day. I've tried all the caller ID apps without any success. I have a Jabra wave and after speaking with the tech guys at Jabra they say it has something to do with the fact that the phones now do not support PBAB. (something to do with phone book protocol?!?!)
    I'm still using, for my daily job, my Nokia N8 and this works fine for me, as all my previous phones have with older bluetooth headsets for the last 8 years, but I want to use my S3.
    Can anyone get this working....
    Last edited by sensiericki; 05-18-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sensiericki View Post
    Hi Jswinde, I've been pulling my hair out over this problem for over 6 months and still can't get it working. I too use a bluetooth headset most of the day. I've tried all the caller ID apps without any success. I have a Jabra wave and after speaking with the tech guys at Jabra they say it has something to do with the fact that the phones now do not support PBAB. (something to do with phone book protocol?!?!)
    I'm still using, for my daily job, my Nokia N8 and this works fine for me, as all my previous phones have with older bluetooth headsets for the last 8 years, but I want to use my S3.
    Can anyone get this working....
    I am using a Blueant Q2 headset and right after I first paired it the phone book was downloaded to the headset and when one of my contacts calls it says I have a call from "contact name". This also works with Q3 and I believe T1 from Blueant. Make sure your Contact Sharing setting is set to Send All Contacts At Once or it will time out during the download.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I used Caller Name Announcer and Mono bluetooth router.
    Plus, turn on Hands Free mode on Note III.
    Not sure about S3.
    Thanked by:
    sjamie 
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Grand Tech

Global Posts
    1,238 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kkbc View Post
    I used Caller Name Announcer and Mono bluetooth router.
    Plus, turn on Hands Free mode on Note III.
    Not sure about S3.
    Thanks for your response. I just checked the Play Store and discovered there are now about 20+ apps named "Caller Name Announcer". Please post the link to the one you are using successfully. Thank you!

Thanked by:
    sjamie 
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Grand Tech

Global Posts
    1,238 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kkbc View Post
    I just tried these apps and many of the new call announcer apps and unfortunately, I am unable to get any of these apps to announce over bluetooth. Thanks again.

Are you hearing custom ringtones thru BT? If you just have a few callers you care about you might create a custom tone "ring ring call from Susie" for each person. I've done that for a few SMS users. If 4.3 or Knox has blocked phone book queries a lot of car HF systems are going to stop working too.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Grand Tech

Global Posts
    1,238 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudH View Post
    Are you hearing custom ringtones thru BT? If you just have a few callers you care about you might create a custom tone "ring ring call from Susie" for each person. I've done that for a few SMS users. If 4.3 or Knox has blocked phone book queries a lot of car HF systems are going to stop working too.
    Thank you for this suggestion but since I run my business through my cell phone, there are too many clients for which I'd have to create a custom ringtone. Currently, I'm still running Android 4.1.2.

Thanked by:
    sjamie 
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Grand Tech

Global Posts
    1,238 Global Posts

No, I haven't but it looks intriguing. I'll let you know if it works when I get home this weekend. Thanks for trying to help me!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    Grand Tech

Global Posts
    1,238 Global Posts

Unfortunately, it did not work for getting the caller's name announced over Bluetooth but it does help in other ways. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    ...but it does help in other ways. Thanks again!
    Care to elaborate? All information, including failures (and portions thereof!) is valuable!

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

I tried quite an amount of these apps including the aforementioned and found one that works for me: Enhanced SMS & Caller ID+
    The dev has a swell 7-day Money-Back Guarantee so I decided to give it a try. It worked for both SMS and caller ID announcer on my Jabra 3030 bluetooth A2DP headset.
    (Note: I don't have any affiliation with the dev but was so frustrated spending so much time testing one app after another, day after day, wishing that someone would point out something that works over A2DP).

Hope this helps.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Grand Tech

Global Posts
    1,238 Global Posts

After spending countless hours researching the problem and seeking a solution, I've finally found it! It all comes down to the way each manufacturer handles Bluetooth and surprisingly, they all handle it differently.

Two headsets that have talking caller ID working perfectly without needing any 3rd party apps are the Plantronics Voyager Edge and the Plantronics Voyager Legend. I purchased and tested both headsets successfully but returned the Edge due to less than satisfactory sound quality on phone calls. I'm extremely pleased with the Voyager Legend (same style and fit as my beloved Voyager Pro) and I'm even more thrilled that my research on getting talking caller ID to work over Bluetooth on my S3 is officially OVER!!! :-)
    Last edited by sjamie; 07-10-2014 at 06:13 AM.

I currently have a Plantronics Voyager (not the Pro or the Legend models) that I purchased after reading numerous reviews stating the noise cancellation was superior. I do not find this to be the case because when I'm using it in my car the other party can always hear road noise. For that reason I will not purchase the Plantronics Legend. Another thing I don't like about my Voyager is how it fits my ear, it's very comfortable but I always generate sweat on the earpiece where it contacts my head. I would like the caller ID feature so I am considering the Blue Ant Q3 which has that feature. Has anyone used one? What is your opinion of the noise cancellation and how well do the caller ID/voice commands features work?
    eOx

Yes, the Voyager Legend works, but it will drain your battery. It keeps a connection to your phone continuously to be able to retrieve the phone book entry when a call arrives. Keeps the phone from going to deep sleep.
    Makinamotze likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    Grand Tech

Global Posts
    1,238 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mty msi View Post
    I currently have a Plantronics Voyager (not the Pro or the Legend models) that I purchased after reading numerous reviews stating the noise cancellation was superior. I do not find this to be the case because when I'm using it in my car the other party can always hear road noise. For that reason I will not purchase the Plantronics Legend. Another thing I don't like about my Voyager is how it fits my ear, it's very comfortable but I always generate sweat on the earpiece where it contacts my head. I would like the caller ID feature so I am considering the Blue Ant Q3 which has that feature. Has anyone used one? What is your opinion of the noise cancellation and how well do the caller ID/voice commands features work?
    Quote Originally Posted by eOx View Post
    Yes, the Voyager Legend works, but it will drain your battery. It keeps a connection to your phone continuously to be able to retrieve the phone book entry when a call arrives. Keeps the phone from going to deep sleep.
    In my opinion, the Voyager Legend is far superior in noise cancellation and sound quality than the original Voyager and most of the Blueant's line. I'm a die-hard fan of both Plantronics and Blueant. I've had all of the Voyager line and most of Blueant's earpieces since the Z9i. The Voyager Legend and Voyager Pro HD just can't be beat in overall sound quality (incoming & outgoing). However, there is still some room for improvement in the noise cancellation department. It's very good but not perfect.

As mentioned, I have noticed slightly more battery drain with the Legend but it is worth it to me for the Talking Caller ID feature. That's the Holy Grail for me! I am finally happy with my both phone and headset.

Quote Originally Posted by mty msi View Post
    In post #6 I state that I use a Blueant Q2 quite successfully and that Q3 works the same way. There are also a variety of Comply foam tips available in various sizes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

As I was reading mostly Amazon reviews for the Blue Ant Q2 & 3 models I came across a couple of items l'd like to share with others on this thread. The first is the Dragon Mobile Assistant by Nuance app in the Play Store allows you to use your Bluetooth earpiece for numerous voice commands including dialing outbound calls by either speaking a contact name or a telephone #. It also has the option to read aloud incoming text messages & emails although having just downloaded the app I haven't yet tested that feature. What I really like about it is you can use it without unlocking your screen which makes it truly hands free for making phone calls in the car for those of us who use a lockscreen. I'll update how this app works overall including the battery usage. This app is also capable of dictating & sending text & email messages.

Second thing I discovered is Plantronics in the last several months came out with a new top of the line model nobody has mentioned on this thread called the Voyager Edge and it is considerably smaller than the Voyager/Pro HD/Legend yet retains most of their qualities. The Edge has an optional earclip and does not rest the body against the side of your head like the larger bodied older Voyager series does. It is expensive at $129 from Amazon and it doesn't have the extensive incoming call contact announcing capabilities that the Blue Ant Q2 & 3 do (it's capable of announcing incoming callers in your contacts but not nearly the # the Blue Ants can-although a lot of Amazon user reviews say the Q2 is much more capable in this regard than the Q3). The apps it uses are free from Plantronics and the Edge does not use the subscription based Vocalyst app.

Based on numerous "professional" & user reviews I've read for both the Blue Ant & Plantronics earpieces apparently nothing currently on the market gives complete noise cancellation and Plantronics is about as good as it gets which to me is not that good. Also based on the large # of Amazon user reviews for both Blue Ant models there are too many that state the Blue Ant units don't last a long time, physically deteriorate and don't work as they're supposed to encourage me to try one. So I believe I'll get the new Voyager Edge since my biggest complaints 1) the sweating caused by the large body of my Voyager is no longer an issue & 2) apparently there is no better noise cancellation than Plantronics offers currently available from any other manufacturers that offer a unit which tells you the identity of the inbound caller.

I use the lg tone pro and it has its own software that will tell you who is calling, read text messages, reads Facebook comments that you are tagged in and plays music.