Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    jswinde's Avatar
    Grand Tech

    Posts
    490 Posts

    Default Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

    I'm on a Bluetooth earpiece (Plantronics Voyager Pro HD) 97% of the day. For me, it is very annoying to have to remove my phone from my pocket to see who is calling. I would love to hear the name of the contact instead which would put me in a mostly hands free situation and increase safety when driving. I've tried most of the "talking caller id" apps in the Play Store but I have not found a single one that works over Bluetooth on Jellybean. Enhanced Caller ID+ and Talking Caller ID+ work very well... IF Bluetooth functionality is not needed.

    Anyone know of a better app?
    Last edited by jswinde; 01-01-2014 at 10:54 AM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

    I know you probably don't want to hear someone say "try a new headset" but... Try a new headset. Jawbone has a "companion app" that in conjunction with the functionality of the earpiece allows you to hear the phone number of the person that's calling you.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

    Plantronics Vocalyst app may be something you could use though as well. Not familiar with it, but it may be a similar feature set to the jawbone one.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    jswinde's Avatar
    Grand Tech

    Posts
    490 Posts

    Default Re: Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

    Quote Originally Posted by tplace 1976 View Post
    I know you probably don't want to hear someone say "try a new headset" but... Try a new headset. Jawbone has a "companion app" that in conjunction with the functionality of the earpiece allows you to hear the phone number of the person that's calling you.
    You're right... I'm in love with the fit and call quality of my VPro. Talking caller id is the only thing missing. Plus, I would need to hear the contact's name and not just the phone number.

    Quote Originally Posted by tplace 1976 View Post
    The Plantronics Vocalyst app may be something you could use though as well. Not familiar with it, but it may be a similar feature set to the jawbone one.
    The Vocalyst app doesn't seem to have any of this functionality plus it has terrible reviews in the Playstore.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

    Hi Jswinde, I've been pulling my hair out over this problem for over 6 months and still can't get it working. I too use a bluetooth headset most of the day. I've tried all the caller ID apps without any success. I have a Jabra wave and after speaking with the tech guys at Jabra they say it has something to do with the fact that the phones now do not support PBAB. (something to do with phone book protocol?!?!)
    I'm still using, for my daily job, my Nokia N8 and this works fine for me, as all my previous phones have with older bluetooth headsets for the last 8 years, but I want to use my S3.
    Can anyone get this working....
    Last edited by sensiericki; 05-18-2013 at 10:16 AM.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

    Quote Originally Posted by sensiericki View Post
    Hi Jswinde, I've been pulling my hair out over this problem for over 6 months and still can't get it working. I too use a bluetooth headset most of the day. I've tried all the caller ID apps without any success. I have a Jabra wave and after speaking with the tech guys at Jabra they say it has something to do with the fact that the phones now do not support PBAB. (something to do with phone book protocol?!?!)
    I'm still using, for my daily job, my Nokia N8 and this works fine for me, as all my previous phones have with older bluetooth headsets for the last 8 years, but I want to use my S3.
    Can anyone get this working....
    I am using a Blueant Q2 headset and right after I first paired it the phone book was downloaded to the headset and when one of my contacts calls it says I have a call from "contact name". This also works with Q3 and I believe T1 from Blueant. Make sure your Contact Sharing setting is set to Send All Contacts At Once or it will time out during the download.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  7. #7  
    kkbc's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default Re: Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

    I used Caller Name Announcer and Mono bluetooth router.
    Plus, turn on Hands Free mode on Note III.
    Not sure about S3.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    jswinde's Avatar
    Grand Tech

    Posts
    490 Posts

    Default Re: Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

    Quote Originally Posted by kkbc View Post
    I used Caller Name Announcer and Mono bluetooth router.
    Plus, turn on Hands Free mode on Note III.
    Not sure about S3.
    Thanks for your response. I just checked the Play Store and discovered there are now about 20+ apps named "Caller Name Announcer". Please post the link to the one you are using successfully. Thank you!
  9. #9  
    kkbc's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default Re: Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3





    Try it and let us know the result.

    Thanks.
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    jswinde's Avatar
    Grand Tech

    Posts
    490 Posts

    Default Re: Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

    Quote Originally Posted by kkbc View Post




    Try it and let us know the result.

    Thanks.
    I just tried these apps and many of the new call announcer apps and unfortunately, I am unable to get any of these apps to announce over bluetooth. Thanks again.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

    Are you hearing custom ringtones thru BT? If you just have a few callers you care about you might create a custom tone "ring ring call from Susie" for each person. I've done that for a few SMS users. If 4.3 or Knox has blocked phone book queries a lot of car HF systems are going to stop working too.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    jswinde's Avatar
    Grand Tech

    Posts
    490 Posts

    Default Re: Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

    Quote Originally Posted by JudH View Post
    Are you hearing custom ringtones thru BT? If you just have a few callers you care about you might create a custom tone "ring ring call from Susie" for each person. I've done that for a few SMS users. If 4.3 or Knox has blocked phone book queries a lot of car HF systems are going to stop working too.
    Thank you for this suggestion but since I run my business through my cell phone, there are too many clients for which I'd have to create a custom ringtone. Currently, I'm still running Android 4.1.2.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

    Have you tried this?

    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    jswinde's Avatar
    Grand Tech

    Posts
    490 Posts

    Default Re: Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

    Quote Originally Posted by JudH View Post
    Have you tried this?

    No, I haven't but it looks intriguing. I'll let you know if it works when I get home this weekend. Thanks for trying to help me!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    jswinde's Avatar
    Grand Tech

    Posts
    490 Posts

    Default Re: Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

    Quote Originally Posted by JudH View Post
    Have you tried this?

    Unfortunately, it did not work for getting the caller's name announced over Bluetooth but it does help in other ways. Thanks again!

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for a talking Caller ID app
    By NealJ777 in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-18-2013, 04:26 PM
  2. Samsung epic 4g touch talking caller id
    By knotsure in forum Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-18-2012, 05:24 PM
  3. Wierd issue with Talking Caller ID
    By rps60050 in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-13-2011, 12:52 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-16-2010, 04:20 PM
  5. Caller ID for calls in VM?
    By farbster in forum AT&T Captivate
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-29-2010, 02:51 PM

Posting Permissions

B