Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S3 Battery Problems

I'm sure this has been posted alot here before, but I am having huge battery problems with my Galaxy S3. So far today on LTE I am at 61% with only a half hour of screen on time (Been off the charger for 3 hours) . Also, almost anytime the screen is on and I am using it the battery runs at >93 degrees F. The charger that came with the phone also is causing problems as the phone actually loses battery percentage if I use it while plugged in, and takes almost 5 hours to get to full, unless I use a Blackberry charger. When I was at school on 4G I got usually around 2.5 hours of screen time with mostly using Twitter, GO SMS, and a few Facebook checks here and there. However at home on LTE it struggles to get to 1.5 hours. Has anyone else had these problems or know a fix? I already tried a factory reset and I feel like this phone should have a much better battery life, especially since I am just checking Twitter, email, or texting. I have GPS and Sync turned off and only turn on WiFi when I need it. I also use JuiceDefender.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Default Re: Galaxy S3 Battery Problems

I have been having similar problems. I have seen postings on other sites about a battery drain issue associated with the Google Play Store. The app evidently caused problems with location services. There is evidently a new update out today aimed at fixing the problem. I have not gotten the update so haven't been able to determine if it fixes my problems or not.

I have been haveing battery problems with the s3 it wont charge more than 8 percent in a day. When it does charge to 100 percent when I unplug the device it drops down to where it was when I pluged it in. Is anyone else haveing this problem??

i also have been having battery issues . when i charge the phone to 100 % within 5 minutes my battery drops down to 80 % just being idle with no use at all .i have to restart the phone everytime after i charge it . that's the only way the phone wont discharge fast while idle . i have seen all the tips and down;loaded apps that were supposed to help , but it's not working.

Have you checked battery status? Can you post screen shot of battery app usage?

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

I too am having this issue. Are there any fixes besides a factory reset? A new battery was purchased but did not fix the problem.
    I am on Sprint, 4.0.4

LTE is a battery hog. The weaker the signal the more power used. You may have a strong signal at school and a weak signal at home.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3 (No KNOX)

If My post has helped please hit the Thanks Button

Unused Ram is Wasted Ram

If you are having issue with the S3's battery draining unusually fast, the problem is Samsung Link. You cannot uninstall the app. All you can do is uninstall the updates and ignore the updates Google Play tries to send you. Samsung Cares tech support says "this is not a known issue". Hopefully, they will "Care" soon and fix the issue!
    BTW. I have AT&T and Jelly Bean 4.1
    Chas12din
    Thanked by:

I am having that same exact problem. Do you know of anything to do to fix it??

Heath, can you provide a little more detail about your issue? Without data, all anyone can do is guess (see my sig). Go to Settings / battery, and do a screen capture. Then tap on "Screen" and capture that, as well. Go back to the battery screen and tap on the graph, and capture that screen, as well. Post all three captures here (or start a new thread).

You might also find these threads helpful:

Android System eating your battery? Check this.

[Help][50% SOLVED] LTE = random heavy battery drain aka "plummet"

Battery Life - Tips and Myths
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:

Hi, I used to have the same problem until I took my sd card out and now everything is sweet ... charge last for over 24 hours.

I am having the same problems, as well. The phone wont charge at all sometimes, other times it will charge up to 40% in three hours. I am getting really frustrated because I cant use it since its always dying on me. I already tried using different chargers, but I get the same result.

The problem you are having is to do with the charging port of your phone. Dust or, more likely, moisture has entered. Here is the solution that worked for me:

Use a hairdryer to blow warm air into the charging port. It worked for me, hope it does for you.

The S3 definitely has a random battery drain issue. Sometimes my phone is perfect all day and next day, others I'll come home from work with the phone at say 90% and check it 15 minutes later and see it down to 84%. At that point I know it's doing the drain thing and a reboot stops it. One night I didn't know it was draining and went to sleep with it at 80 something percent. Woke up and it was down to 7%. And I don't have any synching apps like push email etc, not one. Overall it happens relatively rarely and I can easily tell by the percent sign dropped too fast in too short a time and stop it with the reboot so it hasn't been a tremendous issue for me so far. It is annoying though and a huge problem for many others.

Rev.
    Galaxy S5
    Ubuntu Linux 12.04
    IT Tech