Terribly Fast Battery Drain on Samsung Galaxy S3

swadds77

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Me and a friend of mine both own Samsung Galaxy S3s. Mine works fine; however, his has been giving him issues as of late. Yesterday I looked at it for him, and the battery in his phone was dead. I proceeded to take the battery out of my phone, which read 64%, and place it in his phone. Once his phone turned on, it said the battery was at 30%. I let the battery stay in his phone for about five minutes and looked at the percentage again. This time it was at 17% battery life! I then took my battery back out of his phone and placed it in mine once more. Once my phone turned on the battery percentage read 60%. Also, during the time my battery was left in his phone, his device got EXTREMELY hot. I'm not even sure where to begin on fixing this issue; I've never even heard of this happening before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

swadds77

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
go to settings-battery. Look for a runaway app. Otherwise it might be something in the OS like a runaway process. A reset might be in order. I had K9 mail bite me a couple of times. Deleted and re-installed the app until it started to behave.

HypoDest

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
The overheating sounds pretty dodgy and isn't normal. Your friend may want to get it checked out using warranty

Sent from my GT-N7100

Suzanne Danielson

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I am having similar issues with my Galaxy S3. Both the battery and the heating up. I followed the advice of checking the battery settings and any unusual usage on those settings, but I have nothing to compare it to. I have my screen setting on auto and it's using the highest % at 33% with the android OS using 20%. Are those normal?

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Occasionally that happens to my phone. I've found powering it off and then powering it back on takes care of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

246karenkaren

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
My samsung 3 was barely lasting 7hrs,, mucking around I put my sim into my daughters galaxy3 her battery was lasting forever and bingo her phone began to lose charge quickly.. Came to the conclusion the SIM card was to blame nothing wrong with the phone as it lasted ages with a different sim in. Hope this might help someone..I'm still doing my happy dance!

Fuad Yusuf

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
After spending days, going thru various forum, figuring what really drains off my SIII battery (indicated as Android media process) and hassling of deleting files, I simply remove my SD card and viola!...
..the heating stops and the battery conserved! Thanks God!
After all, a micro card is heating the earth! I can live without the SD...enough with built in memory.

vernonadann

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Mine did same after software update - also had camera trouble which strangely fixed itself ( others had amera troubles too). Next it started fast drain of battery and got hot enough to shutdown with overheat message. I tried batteries from three sources with same result. Also would not charge properly. Finally after trying battery saver and other things-I removed the micro SD card-all problems are now gone! I suspect Verizon and Sam Sung never adequately tested the software before using it in updates. If software not fixed soon, I will drop my usage of Sam Sung products. We all need to let Verizon and Sam Sung know both our problems , solutions if any, as well as our threat to stop buying their products. Money talks!
Vern