Factory Reset after 4.1.2? Worth the hassle?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I got a refurbed S3 last week, and setup my essential apps.

1. Should I bite the bullet and do a "factory data reset" with the hopes that it will be a more stable foundation?

2. If I do a "factory data reset" should I check the boxes that say "backup my data" and "automatic restore"? Will that help get me back setup the way I was faster? Or, does that undermine the whole idea of a clean start?

3. If I decide to do a "factory data reset", is there anything else I should do like "wipe cache" (whatever that means).?

NOTE:
My original S3 paired fine with my ford fusion. The refurb had problems (only worked once). After the 4.1.2 today, I deleted the pairing and re-paired, and it worked. I'm driving 15 hours to Tennessee in a few days, and I really want to most reliable phone & pairing to my car as possible. As I type that, I guess maybe I should "factory data reset".

Thanks for any thoughts,

Mike

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
When I did the factory reset for my S3, it felt like a brand new phone and many errors that I usually recieved were gone.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
did you have the "backup my data" and "automatic restore" checked? How does that work?
Mike

I believe you are referring to the Samsung account data which I would leave checked, but you also need to make sure that your Google account has the Sync App Data and Sync Contacts checked. Chances are you probably have all the boxes checked by default.

Once you do the reset and enter your Gmail account from scratch, all of your apps tied to that account in the Play Store will start downloading and installing again.

Having said that, I'm not really sure you need to bother doing a full reset for this update. It will go through and optimize all your apps after installing the updated OS. I did a full reset both before and after the upgrade from ICS to JB 4.1.1 because I loaded it through Kies, but my wife did her update at the time (about two weeks later) OTA and there never seemed to be any noticeable differences.

We both did OTA to 4.1.2 this time without a reset and I have not encountered any issues yet.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The "backup my data" description is: "Back up app data, wifi passwords, and other settings to google servers"

"and "automatic restore" description is: "When reinstalling an application, backed up settings and data will be restored".

I didn't think it was samsung data, but I could be wrong.

Thx
Mike

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
The "backup my data" description is: "Back up app data, wifi passwords, and other settings to google servers"

"and "automatic restore" description is: "When reinstalling an application, backed up settings and data will be restored".

I didn't think it was samsung data, but I could be wrong.

Thx
Mike

You are correct, I didn't realize you were looking at the Back Up and Reset menu.

Yes you want those checked too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85