Galaxy S3 won't power on - any ideas?

gfornasi

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

My Galaxy S3 was working fine this morning as I drove in to work, but about half an hour later, I noticed the notification/charge light wasn't on while it was attached to my charger and discovered that it would no longer power up. I'm wondering if anyone has has something similar happen and what (if anything) they were able to do to correct it.

Some facts:
The phone is a stock AT&T Galaxy S3 - no changes to the o/s, root, unlock etc.

I tried my battery in a friend's GS3 and the battery works fine (87% charge)

The phone will not master reset (Home/Vol Up/Power buttons)

If I put my battery in and connect the phone to the charger, no lights come on - but if I connect my phone to the charger without a battery in it, the red LED charging light comes on.

The phone was not dropped, submerged in water, etc prior to it losing the ability to power up - it's pretty much like new (except that it doesn't power up, of course!)

The last thing I did with the phone was have it synced to my car stereo streaming from Pandora and logging into foursquare from the parking lot of my workplace.

The battery is currently out of the phone as I'm hoping maybe the phone just took a zap of some kind and letting it sit will somehow reset it.

Any assistance anyone could provide would be much appreciated. (thanks in advance!)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

My Galaxy S3 was working fine this morning as I drove in to work, but about half an hour later, I noticed the notification/charge light wasn't on while it was attached to my charger and discovered that it would no longer power up. I'm wondering if anyone has has something similar happen and what (if anything) they were able to do to correct it.

Some facts:
The phone is a stock AT&T Galaxy S3 - no changes to the o/s, root, unlock etc.

I tried my battery in a friend's GS3 and the battery works fine (87% charge)

The phone will not master reset (Home/Vol Up/Power buttons)

If I put my battery in and connect the phone to the charger, no lights come on - but if I connect my phone to the charger without a battery in it, the red LED charging light comes on.

The phone was not dropped, submerged in water, etc prior to it losing the ability to power up - it's pretty much like new (except that it doesn't power up, of course!)

The last thing I did with the phone was have it synced to my car stereo streaming from Pandora and logging into foursquare from the parking lot of my workplace.

The battery is currently out of the phone as I'm hoping maybe the phone just took a zap of some kind and letting it sit will somehow reset it.

Any assistance anyone could provide would be much appreciated. (thanks in advance!)

The battery may just be shot. Since a friends battery works that is what sounds like the problem.
Here is AC's shopping site for phones. Samsung Galaxy S3 Batteries - ShopAndroid

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No such luck - it's the reverse case - my battery works in my friend's phone, but not in mine. The problem follows the phone, not the battery.

Then the hardware for the power button is probably shot.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Could be, some type of power issue would make the most sense - wound up biting the bullet and putting in my insurance claim to replace it =/

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Well, that is why we choose to buy insurance. Hope it works out.

dendawg23

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
The same exact issue is currently happenning to me. 2 days ago out of the blue as i was texting it shut off and wouldnt power up. They were able to factory reset it for me but yesterday it happened again and now the phone is completely dead. I tried what you mentioned with plugging in the phone without the battery and the red charge light came on. I think my only option is like you did, and put my insurance to work. Sux big time

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The same exact issue is currently happenning to me. 2 days ago out of the blue as i was texting it shut off and wouldnt power up. They were able to factory reset it for me but yesterday it happened again and now the phone is completely dead. I tried what you mentioned with plugging in the phone without the battery and the red charge light came on. I think my only option is like you did, and put my insurance to work. Sux big time

Bummer, but at least you don't have to fully pay for a new phone.

Jermaine Watson

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I have done everything, when i plug my phone in without the battery, the red Notification light comes on for about one and a half minutes, then goes off (The screen never comes on or anything). When i plug in my phone with the battery in the phone nothing happens at all.. my screen stays blank and everything!

Regardless of whether or not the phone is plugged in or not, with or without the battery, when i hold the power button, the phone doesn't vibrate, nor does the screen light up. (this is the same when i simultaneously hold the Home, Power, and Volume Up keys)

My phone has started this weird habit of randomly restarting in the past few months when i go to open or run an application, but this time it just went blank and will not turn back on.

Before this happened today i was on Kik (A messenger app) and i had just clicked to save a picture my friend sent me...... and BLAM!!! The screen just went blank, and hasn't come back on ._.

can someone please tell me what happened, why it happened, and/ or what i have to do to get my phone to work again?

Thanks For Your Time!:) pleaseeee help meeee:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[