AT&T Galaxy S3: 4G does not turn off when WiFi is connected

JohnNadeau

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
When my phone connects to my home WiFi, the 4G Data Icon goes away for a bit, but then comes back and becomes the active IP (even though WiFi icon is still active).

It had been working flawlessly for almost a year. Just started doing this yesterday. The only thing that I did differently was accidentally launching the AT+T Navigator.

My work-around for now is to turn off WiFi, turn off 4G, then turn WiFi back on (leaving the 4G off until I leave the house and hopefully remember to turn it back on :) You can make it easier to do with:

~Data Toggle Widget (by Bogdan Lazanu) (Google Play Store)
used in conjunction with the
~Stock Wifi Toggle Widget

Troubleshooting Notes to Date (revised 11/21/13):
Phone: SGH-i747
Upgraded to Android Version 4.3 (was also having problem in 4.1.2)
We have two Galaxy S3's with AT+T. Only "mine" is behaving this way.
~Both are same model/android and have all PlayStore Updates
~Checked/compared all settings line/by/line and all are the same
Phone is not rooted
Tried battery pull
Tried pulling power on wifi/router; then restarting phone
Tried using AT+T SmartWi-Fi to resolve problem (did not work, so I uninstalled it)
Tried removing my existing WiFi connections, then adding them back in.
I did note in the Verizon forum that people were able to uninstall a CallerID App to resolve the problem, but I'm not finding that in AT+T.
Tried Static IP
Tried WiFi Repair Apps
Tried Clearing Cache
Tried Booting in Safe Mode

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! Not crazy about doing a backup/reset/restore... would rather identify the issue in case it happens again to me or someone else.

Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnNadeau

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: 4G does not turn off when WiFi is connected

I tried upgrading to Android 4.3 today in hopes that would take care of this issue, no such luck :(

HOWEVER, I now notice the following in the WiFi Screen:

When 4G is ON, then I enable WiFi, I see the following messages (in this order):
1) Obtaining IP address
2) Checking the quality of your internet connection
3) Turned off

"Turned Off" remains under the SSID name in my list of "Wi-Fi Networks"

When 4G is OFF, then I enable WiFi, everything connects just fine.

See attached screenshots

I updated my original post to include other troubleshooting to date.

Any input/suggestions are appreciated !

WiFi_4G_Turned_ON.pngWiFi_4G_Turned_OFF.png

Last edited:

David Whitt

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

I had that same problem with the last update. I backed everything up then did a factory reset. I then let it take the update and last restore apps and data. I haven't had that problem since. That was after talking to Samsung and AT&T.

mick67

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

I'm having that problem as well. I'm attempting to download the 4.3 update in hopes that it will fix it. This is the only forum I have seen that addresses this issue.
This has been going on for a month now, my data and battery usage are getting crushed. I have had people tell me that when 4G and wifi icons are on that you are defaulting to wifi and that is not the case. I have used 65% of my data package and I never come that close.
Hopefully the update corrects this,I don't want to have to do a reset. I have to admit I'm tempted to go back to my iPhone.
Thanks for posting the wifi workaround,at least I can download this update without going over my data limit!

Mike

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Factory reset may be your best answer. Outside of that, I use an app called WiFi Matic. It turns off WiFi when not connected, and it can be set to turn off mobile data while on WiFi. It may be worth a try to override your current system problem before doing a reset.

JohnNadeau

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Just an FYI... I've been following similar issues in other boards and there are a good number of people that have tried the reset with no success. I'm using the work-around (posted in my original post) for now until I see something different. I edited the work around to include a Data Toggle Widget (by Bogdan Lazanu) , used in conjunction with the stock Wifi Toggle Widget to make toggling easier.

Deepak M

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site

I started getting this problem 2 days back and after installing those 2 widgets it worked for me , do no when this will be fixed.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

2) Checking the quality of your internet connection
I thought I saw a mention of a setting related to this in a different forum - there was a screenshot of Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Menu button -> Advanced that showed a bunch of options which are not there on my Verizon phone, and one of them was named something like this. You might take a look at the Advanced options and see what you find.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

JohnNadeau

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

The problem turned out to be the AT+T Navigator App!!!!!

I finally had some time and decided to try a Factory Data Reset. After the reset, WiFi and 4G/Data were behaving perfectly UNTIL I launched the AT+T Navigator Application. At that very moment, this time I could see (because I wasn't driving :) ) that 4G/Data began overriding WiFi as outlined in my second post above.

I had been using (and will now continue to use) the GoogleMaps/Navigator for driving directions.

BEFORE YOU TRY the backup/restore steps outlined below, TRY THIS FIRST:
  1. Settings/More/ApplicationManager
  2. Select the AT+T Navigator App
  3. Select TURN OFF
  4. Restart your phone
  5. See if that corrects the problem.

HERE'S WHAT I DID TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM:
  1. Enabled Android Backup on the phone: Settings/Accounts/BackupAndReset: Enable BackupMyData and AutomaticRestore
    Note: I have NO idea how long it takes to backup everything to the cloud, so I waited 24 hours :)
  2. Downloaded Samsung Kies 3.0 and installed on my computer
  3. Using Samsung Kies, backed up the phone, selecting ALL available options/categories (home screen, photos, applications, messages, phone logs, etc.)
    Note: restoring is not as clean as I had hoped. I thought that it would save all of my Home Screens/Customizations, but it did not :(
  4. Settings/Accounts/BackupAndReset
  5. Factory Data Reset; Phone Reboots when it's done.
  6. I did NOT immediately add any accounts (such as Gmail or Samsung) during the setup.
  7. IMPORTANT STEP: I would strongly recommend that you turn OFF that AT+T Navigator App NOW (see steps outlined earlier)
  8. Loaded Kies 3.0 computer and Restored Data
  9. Then added accounts.
  10. Then updated all PlayStore apps etc.
  11. Last step was to set my Home Screens/Icons back as they were.
    Samsung should really do a better job of creating a backup program.

commodon

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

Every since an update (to Android version 4.3 with Baseband version I747UCUEMJB) was made available to my Galaxy S3 in mid November from AT&T, I have been encountering the SAME ISSUE as you have reported with access points I have previously NEVER had an issue with. The only change to my phone was the mistake I made in applying the update I was prodded with to install from AT&T.

hsk1610

May 18, 2013
Visit site

I turned off AT&T Navigator but still no luck. 4G is overridding the wifi. Only way to get wifi to work is to turn mobile data off, then have no issues. Otherwise, get the same checking quality of internet connection and then off.

Chris8414

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

What I did, was a factory reset, back it up on KIES. Thats the only thing that worked for me!

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Downloading update as I type this, but I have never relied on the OS (or whatever process controls it) to reliably shut off data when within wifi range and connectivity. My home screen has a data toggle widget that gets a good deal of use.

Danny Hebel

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site

I finally figured out how to fix the proublem all you have to do is leave your phone on airplane mode for one whole night. When this proublem first started I would turn on airplane mode for a few minutes and it would do the trick but after A while it dident work anymore and it was running up all my 4g but leaving it in airplane mode all night did the trick hope this helps.

The Critik

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

Galax S4 on VZW.

Turned off wifi and mobile

Turned on Airplane mode.

Rebooted

Disabled Airplane mode

Turned on mobile data then wifi.

Booya! 4G icon is gone.

Good luck guys!

anon(8655305)

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site

Galax S4 on VZW.

Turned off wifi and mobile

Turned on Airplane mode.

Rebooted

Disabled Airplane mode

Turned on mobile data then wifi.

Booya! 4G icon is gone.

Good luck guys!

This also fixed my wife's replacement Galaxy S3 which was using mobile data when WiFi was available.

THANKS!

Eric White5

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

Factory reset may be your best answer. Outside of that, I use an app called WiFi Matic. It turns off WiFi when not connected, and it can be set to turn off mobile data while on WiFi. It may be worth a try to override your current system problem before doing a reset.
Just downloaded this and it's working for me...my data was getting hammered for no reason as I just use WiFi, this has helped heaps I feel...thanx!!

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Just a heads up I recently learned - if you turn off mobile data while on WiFi, your text messages might say they cannot download, because they go through the cell network, not wifi.

eaglemach

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

Just downloaded this and it's working for me...my data was getting hammered for no reason as I just use WiFi, this has helped heaps I feel...thanx!!

I see on Google Play there's these 2 apps > Wi-Fi Matic - Auto WiFi On Off (Carlos Prados) and Wifi matic (Khad Mobile App)
which one are you using?...thanks