AT&T Galaxy S3: 4G does not turn off when WiFi is connected
09-29-2014 10:49 AM
- When my phone connects to my home WiFi, the 4G Data Icon goes away for a bit, but then comes back and becomes the active IP (even though WiFi icon is still active).
It had been working flawlessly for almost a year. Just started doing this yesterday. The only thing that I did differently was accidentally launching the AT+T Navigator.
My work-around for now is to turn off WiFi, turn off 4G, then turn WiFi back on (leaving the 4G off until I leave the house and hopefully remember to turn it back on You can make it easier to do with:
~Data Toggle Widget (by Bogdan Lazanu) (Google Play Store)
used in conjunction with the
~Stock Wifi Toggle Widget
Troubleshooting Notes to Date (revised 11/21/13):
Upgraded to Android Version 4.3 (was also having problem in 4.1.2)
We have two Galaxy S3's with AT+T. Only "mine" is behaving this way.
~Both are same model/android and have all PlayStore Updates
~Checked/compared all settings line/by/line and all are the same
Phone is not rooted
Tried battery pull
Tried pulling power on wifi/router; then restarting phone
Tried using AT+T SmartWi-Fi to resolve problem (did not work, so I uninstalled it)
Tried removing my existing WiFi connections, then adding them back in.
I did note in the Verizon forum that people were able to uninstall a CallerID App to resolve the problem, but I'm not finding that in AT+T.
Tried Static IP
Tried WiFi Repair Apps
Tried Clearing Cache
Tried Booting in Safe Mode
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! Not crazy about doing a backup/reset/restore... would rather identify the issue in case it happens again to me or someone else.
Thanks !11-05-2013 12:06 PM
- I tried upgrading to Android 4.3 today in hopes that would take care of this issue, no such luck
HOWEVER, I now notice the following in the WiFi Screen:
When 4G is ON, then I enable WiFi, I see the following messages (in this order):
1) Obtaining IP address
2) Checking the quality of your internet connection
3) Turned off
"Turned Off" remains under the SSID name in my list of "Wi-Fi Networks"
When 4G is OFF, then I enable WiFi, everything connects just fine.
See attached screenshots
I updated my original post to include other troubleshooting to date.
Any input/suggestions are appreciated !11-21-2013 06:55 PM
- I'm having that problem as well. I'm attempting to download the 4.3 update in hopes that it will fix it. This is the only forum I have seen that addresses this issue.
This has been going on for a month now, my data and battery usage are getting crushed. I have had people tell me that when 4G and wifi icons are on that you are defaulting to wifi and that is not the case. I have used 65% of my data package and I never come that close.
Hopefully the update corrects this,I don't want to have to do a reset. I have to admit I'm tempted to go back to my iPhone.
Thanks for posting the wifi workaround,at least I can download this update without going over my data limit!
Mike12-04-2013 10:52 AM
- Factory reset may be your best answer. Outside of that, I use an app called WiFi Matic. It turns off WiFi when not connected, and it can be set to turn off mobile data while on WiFi. It may be worth a try to override your current system problem before doing a reset.12-04-2013 11:46 AMLike 1
- Just an FYI... I've been following similar issues in other boards and there are a good number of people that have tried the reset with no success. I'm using the work-around (posted in my original post) for now until I see something different. I edited the work around to include a Data Toggle Widget (by Bogdan Lazanu) , used in conjunction with the stock Wifi Toggle Widget to make toggling easier.12-04-2013 12:37 PM
Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 412-10-2013 01:25 PM
- The problem turned out to be the AT+T Navigator App!!!!!
I finally had some time and decided to try a Factory Data Reset. After the reset, WiFi and 4G/Data were behaving perfectly UNTIL I launched the AT+T Navigator Application. At that very moment, this time I could see (because I wasn't driving ) that 4G/Data began overriding WiFi as outlined in my second post above.
I had been using (and will now continue to use) the GoogleMaps/Navigator for driving directions.
BEFORE YOU TRY the backup/restore steps outlined below, TRY THIS FIRST:
- Select the AT+T Navigator App
- Select TURN OFF
- Restart your phone
- See if that corrects the problem.
HERE'S WHAT I DID TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM:
12-18-2013 09:55 PM
- Enabled Android Backup on the phone: Settings/Accounts/BackupAndReset: Enable BackupMyData and AutomaticRestore
Note: I have NO idea how long it takes to backup everything to the cloud, so I waited 24 hours
- Downloaded Samsung Kies 3.0 and installed on my computer
- Using Samsung Kies, backed up the phone, selecting ALL available options/categories (home screen, photos, applications, messages, phone logs, etc.)
Note: restoring is not as clean as I had hoped. I thought that it would save all of my Home Screens/Customizations, but it did not
- Factory Data Reset; Phone Reboots when it's done.
- I did NOT immediately add any accounts (such as Gmail or Samsung) during the setup.
- IMPORTANT STEP: I would strongly recommend that you turn OFF that AT+T Navigator App NOW (see steps outlined earlier)
- Loaded Kies 3.0 computer and Restored Data
- Then added accounts.
- Then updated all PlayStore apps etc.
- Last step was to set my Home Screens/Icons back as they were.
Samsung should really do a better job of creating a backup program.
- Every since an update (to Android version 4.3 with Baseband version I747UCUEMJB) was made available to my Galaxy S3 in mid November from AT&T, I have been encountering the SAME ISSUE as you have reported with access points I have previously NEVER had an issue with. The only change to my phone was the mistake I made in applying the update I was prodded with to install from AT&T.12-19-2013 10:21 AM
- I finally figured out how to fix the proublem all you have to do is leave your phone on airplane mode for one whole night. When this proublem first started I would turn on airplane mode for a few minutes and it would do the trick but after A while it dident work anymore and it was running up all my 4g but leaving it in airplane mode all night did the trick hope this helps.03-03-2014 08:36 PM
THANKS!03-08-2014 01:47 AM
- 04-11-2014 01:10 AM
which one are you using?...thanks05-21-2014 04:41 AM
which one are you using?...thanks05-21-2014 04:50 AM
- Just edit de Default XML file located in /system/customize/ACC/default.xml
To change region and SKU_ID use a root explorer (Root explorer, ES File Explore etc.)
Scroll to the end:
Edit "<item type="integer" name="region">X</item>" and "<item type="integer" name="sku_id">X</item>" according to the list below
When done, REBOOT your device.
HTC_DUTCH = 115
HTC_EUROPE = 42
HTC_FRA = 117
HTC_GENERIC = 0
HTC_GER = 118
HTC_ISR = 2
HTC_ITA = 119
HTC_LA_AMX_SPA = 18
HTC_LA_ENTEL_SPA = 19
HTC_LA_ESN_TELCEL = 21
HTC_LA_IUSACELL_MX_SPA = 22
HTC_LA_SPA = 23
HTC_LA_TELEFONICA_SPA = 24
HTC_NORDIC = 120
HTC_RUS = 43
HTC_RUS_UKR = 106
HTC_SPA = 121
HTC_WWE_EASTEUROPE = 99
HTC_WWE_FOR_US_BRIGHTPOINT = 3
HTC_WWE_MMR = 4
HTC_WWE_MMR_UT = 78
HTC_WWE_S_AFRICA = 109
KDDI_JP = 31
KDDI_ODM_JP = 79
KT_KR = 80
METROPCS_US = 81
O2_DE = 44
O2_UK = 45
OPENMOBILE_US = 82
OPTUS_AU = 36
ORANGE_CH_GENERIC = 46
ORANGE_ES = 47
ORANGE_ES_CAT_CATALONIAN = 83
ORANGE_FR = 48
ORANGE_FR_B2B_TLS = 84
ORANGE_PL = 49
ORANGE_UK = 50
ROGERS_WWE = 9
SPRINT_WWE = 10
SPRINT_WWE_BOOST = 85
SPRINT_WWE_VM = 98
TELECOM_NZ_WWE = 51
TELEFONICA = 97
TELSTRA_WWE = 37
TELUS_WWE = 38
TIM_IT_TELECOM_ITALIAN = 52
TMOUS = 11
TMO_AT = 53
TMO_AT_TELERING = 54
TMO_CZ = 55
TMO_DE = 56
TMO_GR = 86
TMO_NL = 57
TMO_PL = 58
TMO_UK = 59
TSMC_TW = 96
TWM_TW = 74
US_CELLULAR_WWE = 87
UTSTARCOM_WWE_GENERIC = 12
VERIZON_WWE = 13
VIRGIN_MOBILE = 88
VODAFONE_AT = 61
VODAFONE_AU = 89
VODAFONE_CH_GER = 62
VODAFONE_FRA_FR = 63
VODAFONE_GER_DE = 64
VODAFONE_GR = 90
VODAFONE_ITA_IT = 91
VODAFONE_NL = 65
VODAFONE_PTG = 66
VODAFONE_SPA_ES = 67
VODAFONE_UK = 68
VODAFONE_UK_NFC = 92
VODAFONE_ZA_WWE_VODACOM = 93
VODA_HUTCH_AU = 60
Try to choose a different carrier than ATT for instance I used HTC_LA_ESN_TELCEL = 21 on my ATT HTC ONE M8 and it worked no more wifi and 4GLTE icons at the same time.
I should work for SG3 and SG4 or SG5 you just need to find the carrier .xml and edit it.06-13-2014 02:39 AM
- I thought I saw a mention of a setting related to this in a different forum - there was a screenshot of Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Menu button -> Advanced that showed a bunch of options which are not there on my Verizon phone, and one of them was named something like this. You might take a look at the Advanced options and see what you find.
It's this. Go to Settings / WiFi / Menu Button / Advanced and uncheck "Auto Network Switch." This is what causes the phone to switch from 4G to wifi and back to 4G if it thinks your wifi network is unstable.06-17-2014 08:26 PM
- It was AT&T Navigator for me! I uninstalled updates and then turned it off and now my wifi is working again (without having to turn off mobile data). Yay! This has been driving me crazy! I did not do a factory reset or anything else. Just turned off AT&T Navigator (which I've never even used) and that was it. Hope this helps someone else.08-27-2014 12:11 PMLike 1
- Samsung Android Phones
- Samsung Galaxy S3
- AT&T Galaxy S III
AT&T Galaxy S3: 4G does not turn off when WiFi is connected
- By BioMed007 in forum LG G2Replies: 3Last Post: 11-12-2013, 06:13 PM
- By Wildo6882 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4Replies: 3Last Post: 11-06-2013, 10:19 PM
- By alizonmi in forum HTC One M7Replies: 2Last Post: 11-05-2013, 03:28 PM
- By cowboys703 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0Replies: 1Last Post: 11-05-2013, 02:31 PM
- By Ares125 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4Replies: 0Last Post: 11-05-2013, 11:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD