Sudden death since 4.1.2.

Cory Beaulieu

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Back in July/August I believe it was, I updated my original AT&T Galaxy S3 from Android 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 OTA (note: my phone was NOT rooted). Come September my phone, which up until this time has been relatively flawless, suddenly started to just shut off on me (as if the battery was removed) and eventually it wouldn't even start up again. And no, it was not a dead battery, the problem was present with and without the phone plugged in. I found out I was less than a week from the end of my original 1 year manufacturers warranty so AT&T replaced my phone and gave me a 90 day warranty on the replacement. When I got the replacement phone it had version 4.1.1 installed so again I updated to 4.1.2 OTA and today the display went dark, the menu and back buttons lit up and remained this way. I couldn't get the display to respond again. I pulled the battery, re-seated the SIM card, reinstalled the battery and tried to start the phone up again with and without it plugged in to a charger but to no avail. Once again my phone is bricked. Has ANYONE experienced this? Again, I do not root my phones. I am expecting my second replacement phone to arrive on Monday and this time I will wait to update it until 4.3 is released. If nothing else, take this as a cautionary tale. Any information anyone has would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cory Beaulieu

lonestarjeepin

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue, but it just occurred about 3 weeks ago. Same situation... I'm also not rooted... update to 4.1.2... started seeing Media Scanner Service running constantly and draining the battery badly. Over the next two weeks, phone would shut off randomly, then overnight one night, it shut off and will not start up again. I am dead in the water now and the phone (SGS III) won't even attempt to boot. I am outside my 1 year warranty so AT&T won't do anything except sell me a new phone. Any help would be appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sorry to hear about your problems. The Media Scanner running wild can be a symptom of a corrupt media file on the external SD card, or perhaps a corrupt card. Try removing the SD card, plugging the phone in overnight, then attempting a power on again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34