AT&T Galaxy SIII 4.3 Update Likes/Issues

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
My wife updated to 4.3 via the OTA and she's had all sorts of problems. We fixed the repeat download notifications and strobe-light-scare-you-to-death-alarm issue.

But her phone kept locking up when the screen rotates. She did a factory reset, and it's STILL doing it.

Has anyone else experienced this problem AFTER a factory reset?

barrywhite98

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: AT&T Galaxy S3 4.3 Update Likes/Issues

Thank you... that worked so far. That was a 3 day problem

You have to access the application called Downloads in your app drawer (the circular icon w/ the green arrow pointing down thru it). Once opened, it will show 2 options "Internet Downloads" and "Other Downloads". If you have downloaded anything at all on via either method, there should be option to clear the list on the bottom. Clear the list and your issue may be solved.

Others stated to go into your System Settings --> hit More --> Application Manager --> then scroll to the app called Downloads (under the "ALL" apps tab, and this time is a square icon w/ a green arrow thru it) --> tap the icon, then tap clear cache and clear data, if both are able to be tapped.

FLRubi

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
My wife updated to 4.3 via the OTA and she's had all sorts of problems. We fixed the repeat download notifications and strobe-light-scare-you-to-death-alarm issue.

But her phone kept locking up when the screen rotates. She did a factory reset, and it's STILL doing it.

Has anyone else experienced this problem AFTER a factory reset?

Had the same problem with the screen locking up. Read another post which suggested to wipe the cache in recovery and toggle the screen rotation off. Did both of these suggestions and the problem hasn't repeated yet. I'll probably toggle screen rotation back on tomorrow to see if the screen freeze returns. Haven't tried the factory reset yet since others reported it didn't resolve the problem. Hope Samsung releases a bug patch soon but I'm not holding my breath. Ha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

iceman6514

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

I checked the other night and stated that the update was available(11-27) so I decided to install it. So far so good. Only issue was that the flash would come on with an email notification but disabled that in settings. Had to check and uncheck the box a few times and then that problem was cleared up. Swipe works normal again, it did not after the last update and for those that use Swiftkey the keyboard stays installed after a reboot. That is a huge plus. One odd thing though, my wife has the same phone so I thought I would install it for her but her phone stated no update available as she was using the most current software. Not sure why I could and she can't, if I incur any issues with 4.3 I will pass them along to everyone.

JJFoshay

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

Is anyone else who uses an exchange server experiencing some major battery drain from "exchange services" - specifically, a "MAIL_SERVICE" wakelock? I've had this issue ever since I updated to 4.3, including after a factory reset. Changing the exchange account sync settings doesn't seem to help. Samsung support suggested I send them my phone to refresh the firmware, but before I do that I wanted to check to see if it is a problem with the software that others are experiencing, rather than a problem with my device.

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site

I do not like that now, for the SMS preview, you HAVE to preview it on your lock screen if you want to see it in the status bar as a preview. It used to be one or the other, but, not anymore.

phessler

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

Is anyone else who uses an exchange server experiencing some major battery drain from "exchange services" - specifically, a "MAIL_SERVICE" wakelock? I've had this issue ever since I updated to 4.3, including after a factory reset. Changing the exchange account sync settings doesn't seem to help. Samsung support suggested I send them my phone to refresh the firmware, but before I do that I wanted to check to see if it is a problem with the software that others are experiencing, rather than a problem with my device.

After my update I had very bad battery drain. I ended up removing all of my exchange accounts and setting the one I actually needed up again. The update had set up an additional exchange account. Battery life is much better since then.

Mojoski

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone figured out how to get FoxFi / PDANet+ working again on this new build? This is really my only major complaint..

EDIT: I should note that the Bluetooth connection mode in PDANet does still work. It is just slower than WiFi mode and it uses up some of the Bluetooth bandwidth I need for my mouse and keyboard when using a Citrix desktop on the road from my tablet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JJFoshay

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

After my update I had very bad battery drain. I ended up removing all of my exchange accounts and setting the one I actually needed up again. The update had set up an additional exchange account. Battery life is much better since then.

Thanks for the response. I only have one exchange account that I'm using, and I've deleted it and set it up again multiple times. Now I've just set it to sync manually, which seems to help. I'm going to contact the organization that runs the server to see if there's anything wrong on their end.

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site

I went to the AT&T store & changed my SIMM card & this has helped a great deal with battery drain. If you bought your SIII last year when they first came out, your SIMM card is a few generations old!

VishD

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

10 days - Still waiting for the Jellybean 4.3 software to be pushed to my phone. Does anyone have any other ideas by which I can update the phone?

Samsung - We have given software to AT&T and they need to push

AT&T Call Helpdesk - We can push and we don't know who to forward the call to

AT&T Chat Support - We are technical dept and we don't handle that, not sure who to foward it to

Any help is much appreciated. Even a way to escalate this at AT&T works, since the helpdesk and chat support refuse to raise a ticket as they don't know who to assign it to.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed a new oddity... I use Swype and after the update I don't get a hyphen on my first screen of numbers and symbols, I have to use two actions to get to where I can use a hyphen. Is this configurable or just an "improvement"?

bugeaters0425

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
It is odd how the 4.3 update has been hit or miss when it comes to problems for the S3. I downloaded the update the first day it came out and have had zero issues what so ever. Not sure it matters but I have never rooted or needed to factory reset my phone.

Posted via Android Central App

dervari

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
So if I understand correctly, having a PIN on your phone keeps you from adding widgets? I loved the weather widget on my lock screen. We have an ActiveSync Policy that forces a PIN and I don't really want to undo it just to add a widget (I'm the Exchange Admin). Also, is there any way to remove the Text Messaging widget with a PIN enabled? Seeing who has sent messages to you while the phone is locked is a violation of our security policy.

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Liking it so far. My maildroid sync delay went away after a couple of days and the media process runaway only gets flagged by watchdog once every third reboot or so, instead of 5 times every reboot. So nothing broke and one thing got mostly fixed. Yesterday however, I had some serious battery drain issues. I'm hoping it was a temp thing, but since I'm headed to the ATT store this AM with my kid (new iPhone, kids these days...) I was thinking to ask for a new SIM as there is a rumor this has helped.

dlawley

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Updated my S3 to 4.3 about a week ago. Since then my battery life has decreased. My tether widget no longer works and the phone is slower. Now my assist light (camera LED) flashes everytime I get a call. I do not have a flash program installed to cause this and I can not find anything on this issue or how to turn it off. I Also have several apps that are now "buggy" after the update. Oh yeah, it also defaulted all my sound settings! Worst update ever.

fredd17

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Updated my S3 to 4.3 about a week ago. Since then my battery life has decreased. My tether widget no longer works and the phone is slower. Now my assist light (camera LED) flashes everytime I get a call. I do not have a flash program installed to cause this and I can not find anything on this issue or how to turn it off. I Also have several apps that are now "buggy" after the update. Oh yeah, it also defaulted all my sound settings! Worst update ever.

I posted a thread about the flashing light check it out as another member gave me the solution. As for the other stuff sorry I don't have any of those issue's and my phone is working fine. :)

droidlife 1 day at a time. :)

dlawley

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I posted a thread about the flashing light check it out as another member gave me the solution. As for the other stuff sorry I don't have any of those issue's and my phone is working fine. :)

droidlife 1 day at a time. :)

I am unable to locate your post about the fix, could you provide a link please, or just tell me here.

walkah21

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I am unable to locate your post about the fix, could you provide a link please, or just tell me here.

You go to Settings>My Device>Accessibility>Flash Notification (2nd to last line at the bottom) - From here, if it's unchecked already, check it then uncheck it again and it should solve your problem.

On another note, after having the update for over a week now, my battery drain issue has seemed to work itself out. Now when my phone is idling/screen off, my battery drain is normal. Even during use it's back to how it was before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21