How to install non-market apps/bypass device administrator

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I just updated my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 to JB 4.3. I'm trying to install an APK that my office is potentially gonna put on the Google Play Store, but it keeps getting denied by the Device Administrator. How do I get past this?

Posted via Android Central App

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Be very careful. Even if you can download apps from outside sources, they may contain a virus. Personally, i only download apps and widgets from the play store.:)

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Be very careful. Even if you can download apps from outside sources, they may contain a virus. Personally, i only download apps and widgets from the play store.:)

A lot of people also get apps from the Amazon App Store and Humble Bundle. You need to allow unknown sources for those...and they're perfectly safe.

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm sure about this source--the co-workers in my office. I watched them write it,

The Security settings page has "Unknown Sources" grayed-out, so I can't enable it (unless there's another setting that triggers it). What is KNOX and how can I disable it long enough to install this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't tell you about Knox, but is the phone encrypted for use with your company? If so, I wonder if that prevents you from installing from unknown sources.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
If you loaded the 4.3 OTA, you have KNOX loaded courtesy of Samsung. Read here. I have not updated yet, I'm still on 4.0.4, but this 4.3 update has given me pause. There has to be some type of admin app that will allow installation of non-signed apps.

EDIT: Initially, I thought the article referenced did a decent job describing KNOX, however, the article ends with some references to XDA and a method to remove KNOX. I wouldn't use it. The article states you may lose data. I'd stay away from the removal method, but it gives one the idea of what KNOX is all about. Search AC articles, I'm sure they wrote something up a while back.

Last edited:

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My phone is my own, not a company phone.
Sailindawg, I read the link you provided, but it wasn't really clear what KNOX is. Can you elaborate?

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the article wasn't that clear. KNOX is an enterprise suite of apps to provide a secure enterprise solution for business. It's a container that will secure all business related apps & data separate from your personal data. Of course, this all happens through Samsung' s business program for a fee to use within your company. Samsung is trying to compete with BlackBerry.

The security suite initially prevents rooting. XDA is slowly figuring out root & how to remove KNOX. From what I've read, KNOX may not allow one to install unsigned apps or apps from unknown sources. You stated that under developer options, install from unknown sources was grayed out. It could be related to KNOX. I take it you have enabled Developer Options? The other thing about KNOX, you cannot change the bootloader or go back to an earlier version with a different bootloader. You'll brick the device. I'm hoping you missed a setting because if KNOX takes away the option, no more beta programs from SwiftKey & the like.

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I just re-checked all the Settings pages/info and I didn't find a "Developer Options" anywhere (entirely possible that's it's just in a different place and I missed it). Under the Device Administrators page, I have Samsung Kies, KNOX, Email, DriveMode (AT&T's app), Android Device Manager, and AVG Anti-Theft service [I'm paranoid--sue me]. KNOX and DriveMode are unchecked, but the rest are checked, meaning, I presume, that the checked apps are allowed to BE device administrators. How 'safe' or wise is it to uncheck the Android Device Manager as an admin?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you don't have Developer Options enabled yet, go to Settings/About Phone and tap the Build Number about 7 times. It will tell you that you are now a Developer, and that those options are now available.

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
LOL! That Developer options thing is cute! So now I tried to install the APK from the office here again, and now it says, it had a problem parsing it. Does that ring any bells? Am I just SOL?

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It might be but I just realized that Unknown Sources is still grayed-out. The developer options are on now. I would have thought the two might be connected. Obliviously not. Ideas?

Posted via Android Central App

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
How 'safe' or wise is it to uncheck the Android Device Manager as an admin?
Android Device Manager is Google's attempt at keeping your device secure. If you login to your Google account, you can locate your device or even remotely wipe it (if you think it might be lost/stolen).

Obviously it's your call whether you think you'd use that feature. If you have a Premium account with Lookout then you can probably ditch this feature.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Dpanda23

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
I just got my gear s3 from T mobile, I want to be able to install apps from out side sources can you help me out? Or at least point me in the right direction?