Phone randomly shuts off, battery drained when turned back on.

karadactyl

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I have had my galaxy s3 for a little over a year now and in the past it has randomly shutdown. I would always just turn it back on with no problems. It has done this probably a handful of times. Aside from it randomly freezing for a few seconds here and there, it has never really had any other issues other than only maybe two or three times it has mysteriously drained the battery completely in a matter of a couple hours. I have never figured out why this happened because the battery usage screen always shows fairly normal usage, compared to most days, but the graph shows the battery drained steadily from 100% to nearly 0% in under 3 hours.

Well, today, I take the phone off the charger when I wake up. It is at 100%, no problems. As I am going into work, I try to take a picture of the lovely fog we had this morning. The camera would open, but just showed black and wouldn't take a picture. I thought, hmmm..that's odd, so I tried instagram instead. Instagram froze and shutdown, giving me an "instagram isn't responding" message. Everything else is working fine though, so I don't think anything of it. I'm checking out facebook, email, etc. I had normal battery drain, as far as I know, but I wasn't really paying attention to that. But then, after about two hours of off and on use with no problems, the phone randomly shuts off. I can't turn it back on with the power button, so I remove the battery for a few seconds and put it back in. The phone turns on and the battery is suddenly at 41%. The battery usage is normal. Screen taking up most of the power, even though I have it very dim, and the Android operating system taking up the second most power. The graph shows a steady steep drain over the last 2 hours, and at about the time the phone shut off, the graph gaps and then proceeds at an even steeper drain down to 41%. I just took the battery out for about 10 minutes and turned the phone back on. The battery is now showing 46%

I recently did a factory reset because my phone was seeming laggy and experiencing small freezes, etc. Nothing huge, I just thought I'd have a fresh start. But apparently the problems still exist. Any advice?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have had my galaxy s3 for a little over a year now and in the past it has randomly shutdown. I would always just turn it back on with no problems. It has done this probably a handful of times. Aside from it randomly freezing for a few seconds here and there, it has never really had any other issues other than only maybe two or three times it has mysteriously drained the battery completely in a matter of a couple hours. I have never figured out why this happened because the battery usage screen always shows fairly normal usage, compared to most days, but the graph shows the battery drained steadily from 100% to nearly 0% in under 3 hours.

Well, today, I take the phone off the charger when I wake up. It is at 100%, no problems. As I am going into work, I try to take a picture of the lovely fog we had this morning. The camera would open, but just showed black and wouldn't take a picture. I thought, hmmm..that's odd, so I tried instagram instead. Instagram froze and shutdown, giving me an "instagram isn't responding" message. Everything else is working fine though, so I don't think anything of it. I'm checking out facebook, email, etc. I had normal battery drain, as far as I know, but I wasn't really paying attention to that. But then, after about two hours of off and on use with no problems, the phone randomly shuts off. I can't turn it back on with the power button, so I remove the battery for a few seconds and put it back in. The phone turns on and the battery is suddenly at 41%. The battery usage is normal. Screen taking up most of the power, even though I have it very dim, and the Android operating system taking up the second most power. The graph shows a steady steep drain over the last 2 hours, and at about the time the phone shut off, the graph gaps and then proceeds at an even steeper drain down to 41%. I just took the battery out for about 10 minutes and turned the phone back on. The battery is now showing 46%

I recently did a factory reset because my phone was seeming laggy and experiencing small freezes, etc. Nothing huge, I just thought I'd have a fresh start. But apparently the problems still exist. Any advice?

Welcome to the forums.
First I would suggest a clearing of the cache in recovery. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

Otherwise your battery may be bad. You can shop for new ones at our own site: ShopAndroid - #1 Store for Android Accessories
Prices are usually cheaper than most other places. And this way you are kind of reinvesting into this very site.

karadactyl

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I have cleared the cache in recovery before, and my battery works fine most of the time. I don't feel that the battery is the problem, but the phone is.

Hebekaos

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
It could be one of the "cores" in your device, one core controls normal standby and default factory stuff, the second core controls after-factory apps and plugins(dual core devices only). If its a single core device you may have too many things downloaded.

n00x

May 26, 2016
Visit site

It was the faulty battery, wasn't it?

AarmauGarmau

Aug 9, 2017
Visit site

I don't have any due to the fact my Samsung Ace Style is like that but it does random stuff and then turns black without any notice and when I try to turn it on it flickers and then turns back off, I have to have it charging 24/7 because of it, I've only dealt with it for over 2 weeks and I've had my phone longer then that.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc