Android 4.3 Update for (Code) Unlocked AT&T S3

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

So, my friend has a Galaxy S3 phone that was code-unlocked to be used in Mexico, but the headset is originally from AT&T. Now, I know the Android 4.3 update for this phone is out, but when he wants to check for OTA updates, the server says there are none available. Might this be because he's not on AT&T's network or because he's using a WiFi with a non-USA IP? If so, any way for him to get the update that doesn't involve rooting or 'heavy lifting' (he's kinda non-tech savvy)?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, if the phone is still running the AT&T firmware then it'll be looking for an update only on that carrier.

You could look on the Sammobile website to see if there's firmware available for that model/carrier/region, and if there is your friend could try loading that (a semi-technical task). The downside is that, once the firmware is loaded (probably 4.1.2), there may not be an update to 4.3.

What feature in 4.3 does he really need anyway?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, he's still on stock firmware, just not on AT&T anymore. Is there a way for him to get the update through Kies? Well, expandable notifications are well overdue for him hehe (I think he's still on 4.1), Daydream would be nice, too...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2