1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Red face S3, Straight Talk & texting issues

Help! I'm new to all this! I'm trouble shooting my daughter's phone. She has a S3 w/ Straight Talk. On & off issues w/ calling & texting. I have calls working as of right now. Texting no such luck. The error I get is "invalid recipient". I am able to call the number with no issue, but won't let me text. When she could text the recipient would receive it 3 times & she receives their reply 3 times. I'm at a loss. Straight talk disconnected from a chat session while I had her unlock for phone (gone less then 15 seconds). Our account is "fine". Turned phone on/off. I've googled different APNs & tried differnet ones.

I can currently call contacts that I couldn't before (out of 3g area) (not all contacts were getting this error). I can text some, but not all. She can call & text me, so I guess that is all that matters. (yeah, right!) Current settings are:
    APN: tfdata
    Port:80
    MMSC:
    MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    APN protocol: IPv4
    APN enabled

This is all Greek to me...someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

Global Posts
    13,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: S3, Straight Talk & texting issues

Quote Originally Posted by Juli33 View Post
    Help! I'm new to all this! I'm trouble shooting my daughter's phone. She has a S3 w/ Straight Talk. On & off issues w/ calling & texting. I have calls working as of right now. Texting no such luck. The error I get is "invalid recipient". I am able to call the number with no issue, but won't let me text. When she could text the recipient would receive it 3 times & she receives their reply 3 times. I'm at a loss. Straight talk disconnected from a chat session while I had her unlock for phone (gone less then 15 seconds). Our account is "fine". Turned phone on/off. I've googled different APNs & tried differnet ones.

I can currently call contacts that I couldn't before (out of 3g area) (not all contacts were getting this error). I can text some, but not all. She can call & text me, so I guess that is all that matters. (yeah, right!) Current settings are:
    APN: tfdata
    Port:80
    MMSC:
    MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    APN protocol: IPv4
    APN enabled

This is all Greek to me...someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!
    Welcome to the forums. I honestly have no idea what to suggest. In some cases, updating the PRL in Settings can help. Have you done that?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums. I honestly have no idea what to suggest. In some cases, updating the PRL in Settings can help. Have you done that?
    No. How do I do that?

Global Posts
    13,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Juli33 View Post
    No. How do I do that?
    Might be in Settings>update device.

From a Sprint Moto X using the AC Forums app.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here