TWRP 2.3.1 "auto update" on my S3 ----- now it won't boot

flstanley4

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok, start off by admitting I'm a technophobe.I hardly know how to adjust the volume on my phone, so I haven't intentionally changed anything.

That being said, the S3 while slick and fast initially has had the most "personality problems" of any phone I've had. This is my 3rd or 4th droid, and I like the platform in general.

So, onto the actual problem.

I had a local tech shop replace my glass, and do a factory reset of things after a girl at work dragged it off the desk onto the tile floor.

So $100 later, the phone is clean, clear and seems to be running faster and lasting longer on a single charge.

Until this evening.....

It "automatically" downloaded some TWRP thing that seems to have taken it over.

TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.6 - | TeamWin

It downloaded, said it had to reboot, and then did reboot.

It came up with that screen in the link, saying it was version 2.3.1

I could not find a way to dismiss it or get to my home screen. Eventually, I hit "restore defaults" and "reboot".

Now it will flash "SAMSUNG" for about half a second, and then go to the "SAMSUNG GALAXY S3" screen and stay there. It does not finish booting, it does not function.
- I have tried removing the battery
- I have tried rebooting with the sim and SD removed.

HELP!!!

How do I dump that junk and get my phone back?

flstanley4

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea how it got on there.

I know... I'm a rube, I've been duped. It presented as an auto update. I tried to dismiss it or clear to home screen and that's how I go here.

No, I cannot boot to recovery. It starts to load the small blue writing, but then the other stuff takes over.

....new development....

I tried that again and it booted to the tabbed TWRP screen.

Ok... I guess that's progress. How do I get rid of that and back to using my phone?

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I would think that the next step would be loading some sort of backup if you can locate one. Perhaps on the SD card.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using AC Forums mobile app.

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
No luck finding a backup eh? Have you considered a custom ROM? As you're already in recovery. Either way we're going to need at the very least carrier information for the device.

*EDIT*
Failed to notice the forum you posted in so carrier information is already at hand.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using AC Forums mobile app.

Last edited:

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
We can try two things. We can attempt to find a custom rom which is only flashable through twrp may as well use what you have? or when I get back home I'll pull up the laptop and see if I can't locate stock firmware for you to flash.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app