Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung security update notification

This morning I had a Samsung notification of an over the air security update that I could have installed. Not knowing how long it would take I clicked on cancel. I'm kinda surprised there isn't already a thread on this as I've never seen a Samsung security notification with an OTA update before on either my 14 month old S3 or the Captivate I had for two years before that. Anyone download it? Anyone know how to get it back for installation? I wanted to check here on the forums before I installed the update.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Samsung security update notification

337 views and no one else had this notification? Showed up in the drop down screen like Play Store app updates do but it said it was from Samsung. There were also normal Play Store app updates in a different notification. I've never enabled my phone to accept downloads from anywhere but the Play Store and I think the default setting allows only Play Store app downloads. All my installed apps are from the Play Store but if no one else has seen it I'm thinking it may have been malicious software masquerading as a legitimate Samsung security update. I've never seen an update directly from Samsung, only updates for their apps through the Play Store. I use Lookout's free version for anti-virus.

Quote Originally Posted by mty msi View Post
    337 views and no one else had this notification? Showed up in the drop down screen like Play Store app updates do but it said it was from Samsung. There were also normal Play Store app updates in a different notification. I've never enabled my phone to accept downloads from anywhere but the Play Store and I think the default setting allows only Play Store app downloads. All my installed apps are from the Play Store but if no one else has seen it I'm thinking it may have been malicious software masquerading as a legitimate Samsung security update. I've never seen an update directly from Samsung, only updates for their apps through the Play Store. I use Lookout's free version for anti-virus.
    You should of just accepted the ota update but if you want to try and force it back to your device go into settings/about phone and click on software updates to check manually and if an update comes up then it's most likely from Samsung and not malicious ...

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..

P.s you're too paranoid pal lol...

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by xceeder View Post
    You should of just accepted the ota update but if you want to try and force it back to your device go into settings/about phone and click on software updates to check manually and if an update comes up then it's most likely from Samsung and not malicious ...

Nope, just checked and no updates but I think that's for AT&T updates only and this was a Samsung update, not AT&T. Reason I didn't download it at the time is because I wasn't sure how much time it would take and I didn't have a lot of time to spare. My 4.3 update took about forever and a day, IIRC it was the better part of 2 hours. I realize a security update isn't changing the OS but I didn't have an extra 10 minutes at the time. I thought when I hit cancel it would still be available. It's very curious to me that no one else has seen this update. I thought there would have already been a thread about it because I waited several days after the update appeared to start this thread. I'm not paranoid just careful. When I see an update that I've never seen before, meaning an update directly from Samsung and as I stated in my OP I've had my GS3 for 14 months and had a Captivate for 2 years before that and have never seen a direct from Samsung update ever it raises a red flag. It also raises a red flag that no one else on this forum has seen this update. If it was legitimately from Samsung I would think others would have seen it and installed it. Other thing I was concerned with is that is might disable Foxfi/PdaNet+. Not a big deal as I'm about to order a Note 3 so my GS3 will become a backup which hopefully means I won't be using it. I'm still quite surprised no else has seen this update.

Hhhmm well nip on Google and type in recent updates for the Samsung s3 and see if anything comes up...

I had it pop up awhile back. Checked with my IT department to make sure they didn't push it out. I accepted it nothing happened afterwards so I didn't think it was anything to worry about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app