Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Low/Zero Reception after dropping my phone

Low/Zero Reception after dropping my phone-galaxy-s3.jpg

Well recently i dropped my phone and i have been having reception problems with it and i want to fix it myself. I was wondering what was located at the top left side of the galaxy S3 phone that deals wiht reception, like what antenna and where i can get a replacement for it. Im also getting a replacement screen but i got that part covered, i just need to know what i need to get in order to fix the internal components that may be damaged from the fall. In summary, the problems im facing are at max 1 bar out of 5 on my phone and thats if im lucky. i usually have 0 bars and my phone says emergency phone calls only. I also cant use my data because of this and its been a problem for me.... So plz help me. If you could tell me what parts i need and where i can get them that would be amazing..

Global Posts
    20,811 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Low/Zero Reception after dropping my phone

I think the antennas are wired to the motherboard.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Post Re: Low/Zero Reception after dropping my phone

It is very likely that you have damaged the Antenna chip itself when the phone has been dropped (the white board pictured below..)

Low/Zero Reception after dropping my phone-antenna.png

Sadly, replacing the antenna itself will not suffice, damage will have been caused to the chip that powers the antenna (if the antenna was damaged - no signal would be available, if the power board is 'fried' then you would get inconsistent signal.)

The power chip for the antenna is located beneath your sim card/sd card shield. (Pictured below, first with the shield in place, then with the shield removed and put to one side)

Low/Zero Reception after dropping my phone-sim_port.png

Low/Zero Reception after dropping my phone-gsm_chip.png
    The chip itself is the one boxed in orange. It is a SKY77604.

To replace the chip would be very difficult, and require precise soldering - generally these are fitted by machines at the factory - and not really a serviceable part.

I do believe you could macgyver it however with a bit of magic... and a steady hand!!!

If you wish to replace the chip - I would personally attempt to re-solder the original first, and establish whether it was just cracked loose.
    You can find the chip on ebay - SKY77604, roughly 9 exc delivery.

** NOTE **
    I do not take responsibility for any damage to your handset if you attempt to dis-assemble by yourself without any computer or electronics experience.
    This is a delicate procedure and the electronics exposed at this stage are highly susceptible to damage