Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T S3 (rooted) Faulty Power Button - Need Advice (Insurance with Root)

Ok, so my AT&T SGH-I747 S3 has the fairly common faulty power-button issue. With the battery charged and in it will turn on for about 5 seconds, displaying the S3 logo and then power down again. Maybe 1 out of 5 tries it will power all the way up, but then once on the power off/restart screen will pop up without warning and then eventually the button will simulate me just holding it down and power off.

I have the AT&T insurance plan, but I rooted my phone a few months ago. I'm pretty sure any sort of warranty/insurance claim is voided if your device is rooted, correct? Right now I'm not really sure what my options are except to somehow unroot the phone and set the flash counter to 0 with Triangle Away or something similar so I can use the insurance.

Is there anyway to keep the S3 on long enough with this power button issue to perform this task?

If I can't use the insurance, because of the root, I suppose my only other option would be to crack the phone open, destroy the solder holding the micro-switch power button and then use a JIG with ODIN to turn the device on every time and just live with it until my upgrade in a few months.. but I really don't want to go that route.

What should I do? I'm kicking myself for rooting the phone, but jeez it's the natural turn of events for an Android user, right?

I'm not sure that simply rooting would not effect your power key. Rooting doesn't work that way. If you haven't downloaded any mods or roms, chances are is just a faulty power key.

Simply download a copy of the 4.1.1 stock factory image and flash with ODIN to get back to stock. If you don't understand, Google the above and learn about how to flash a stock rom. Also read XDA Developers site. Outstanding site, plenty of guides, how to's, just make sure that you are in the right forum for your phone.
    Good luck!

Edit: flashing back to stock should reset your phone, remove root & reset flash counter. Use triangle away before hand. Also in XDA AT&T Galaxy S3 section, there is a thread about flashing stock roms with flash counter reset.

Default Re: AT&T S3 (rooted) Faulty Power Button - Need Advice (Insurance with Root)

Since it is Insurance and not Warranty I don't think you have anything to worry about. Insurance you pay for, it should cover it even though it is rooted.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3
    (No KNOX)