1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Default Why Did S3 Lock Us Out?

My wife has an ATT Galaxy S3. After nearly a year of no problems, last week it suddenly greeted her with a password screen (emergency calls only). Now, she had never setup a password; and we tried every logical / possible password that we would have ever used. Nothing worked. The SIM card DID work in another device. We reached out to ATT and the mobile store - who each told us that the only solution was to do a factory reset. Which I finally gave up and did.

So, my question is "why" did this happen? What would trigger the device to lock up like this with a password that we never setup?

As you can imagine, my wife doesn't want to spend hours getting all her settings / apps / music set back up until she understands what happened.

Thanks for any insight that you could provide!

Global Posts
    13,801 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Why Did S3 Lock Us Out?

Quote Originally Posted by mapenn View Post
    My wife has an ATT Galaxy S3. After nearly a year of no problems, last week it suddenly greeted her with a password screen (emergency calls only). Now, she had never setup a password; and we tried every logical / possible password that we would have ever used. Nothing worked. The SIM card DID work in another device. We reached out to ATT and the mobile store - who each told us that the only solution was to do a factory reset. Which I finally gave up and did.

So, my question is "why" did this happen? What would trigger the device to lock up like this with a password that we never setup?

As you can imagine, my wife doesn't want to spend hours getting all her settings / apps / music set back up until she understands what happened.

Thanks for any insight that you could provide!
    Did you get an update before this happened?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

not that we are aware of. She doesn't remember seeing any notifications about a pending update.

Global Posts
    13,801 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by mapenn View Post
    not that we are aware of. She doesn't remember seeing any notifications about a pending update.
    This issue isn't isolated. I have seen it before, but still u sure as to why.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here