1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default need help with new AT&T update

hello all, and thanks in advance for any help you may have for me.

Let me prequel my problem by saying that last week, I did a "factory reset" on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) and uninstalled titanium backup (I still have superuser).

I attempted to d/l the new update from AT&T. All 649mb downloaded, but when it attempted to install, this came up:

CWM-based recovery v5.5.0.4
    E: Invalid command argument
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E: failed to verify whole-file signature
    E: signature verification failed
    Installation aborted

The above was all on the d/l screen with the green android dude in the middle of the screen. Is there anything I can do to get the d/l? Is it now in my phone?

Thank you again!!

Default Re: need help with new AT&T update

obviously try to reboot the phone first and if that doesn't bring back the OS then you may need recovery mode: Entering recovery mode on Galaxy S3 is very easy. All you have to do is shut down your device and boot while holding the volume up, home button and power button simultaneously.

Firstly, it sounds like you have at least root and a custom recovery installed. OTA's will always fail because you are running a modified system.

Secondly, do you understand that the official OTA locks the bootloader, installs Samsung's security feature Knox.

If you wish to root, flash another custom rom again, you may want to pause to reconsider. The is no factory image with the 4.3 bootloader. The factory images are for 4.0.4 and 4.1.1. What does this mean? Once you are on the official 4.3 update, you cannot reflash these factory images because you will brick the phone. With the official 4.3 update, you can still root & flash custom roms, but to go back to "stock", you will need to unroot, if you can, and flash the official 4.3 update.

Ofcourse the are work arounds to get 4.3 without the new bootloader and Knox. They work well and they start with the 4.1.1 factory image with the unlocked bootloader so that you can always reflash back to stock.

Head over the XDA, research, then decide what's best for you.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

To both of the above posts, thank you for your suggestions!
    I do know how to enter recovery mode,.....been there, done that. Currently my phone IS working, running 4.1.1. If the phone is somehow still rooted, how do I remove any remnants of that root? I want to remove anything that is preventing the phone from receiving this update, which, I'm assuming, like sailindawg states, is 4.1.3.

Since you are still on 4.1.1, read this.

That's what I have followed & I'm no developer! But I have the best of 4.3 minus the locked bootloader & KNOX. HOWEVER, take heed, read, research, learn before you flash. It took me the better part of a month and a half before I attempted this. Works great though. Well worth the time & effort.