Battery has a mind of it's own, out of ideas.

razorsedge

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
My phone's battery is possessed.

The battery discharges extremely rapidly, like right now it has been off the charger for 55 minutes and the battery is at 57%. What's even stranger though is that when it gets down to 30% or so, it will start charging itself...without being on the charger, until it gets back up to 65-70%. Even so the phone will be dead in a matter of a few hours. I'm sure it's a discrepancy in how the phone is reading the battery amount remaining or something, but I'm at my wits end trying to fix it. The phone has a brand new like 2 day old battery that I bought because I thought the one I had went bad. After that didn't fix it I did a factory reset on the phone....still a no go and the battery is still wildly unpredictable.

I'm just out of ideas, so does anyone know some secret trick that I don't?

razorsedge

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I have already done that. Last night I actually went ahead and rooted the phone, wiped/formatted every partition I could and installed a lightweight custom rom. The problem still persists though. I think I have narrowed it down to mobile data. If I turn off mobile data my battery seems normal, however if I turn it back on my battery drains so fast I could hardly make it 2 hours into the day.

I'm starting to think this may be a hardware issue though since completely wiping everything and installing a new rom do nothing to help. What do you think?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What's the 4G signal like where you typically are? If it's intermittent or weak, then the radios might be expending more energy trying to latch onto 4G, only to fall back to 3G.

razorsedge

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
What's the 4G signal like where you typically are? If it's intermittent or weak, then the radios might be expending more energy trying to latch onto 4G, only to fall back to 3G.

At work there is a tower righ across the street and the signal is good, Coworkers have not complained about poor battery life or signal problems with their phones.

The other thing that gets me is the fact that the battery increases sometimes, without being on the charger....I'll attach a screenshot of it. Also the battery usage app says my screen has been the biggest user but it's hardly been on!

Screenshot_2014-03-31-12-26-19_zpsnocu0wmk.png

Screenshot_2014-03-31-12-23-09_zpsx1lupjjp.png

I'd get a new battery. But then again, I'm battery obsessed. :p

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Battery is brand new.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
What do you think?
I'd have to agree with you that there's something wrong with the phone.
Since you're apparently not running 4.3, I'd reflash the stock 4.1.2 firmware AND radios and RPM and see what happens. You can also nuke the battery calibration data since you're currently rooted and get one full charge cycle (with the power completely off) just to be sure that isn't the issue.

Otherwise it's time for a replacement.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

razorsedge

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Ended up buying an s4 from a guy that upgraded to the s5. Pretty sure the motherboard was the culprit on my s3 as I was never able to fix it with anything software.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Guess you can sell the S3 for parts; enjoy your S4!

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Hebekaos

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Its only the battery connector, (the copper rectangles that touch the battery on its copper plates to get the power) its more than likely confusing the phone, you may have to get a new one of those parts or get a new device. ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch