Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Default Universal Search

Does the GNIII have universal search? All I seem to get from long pressing the menu key is access to a Google search, as opposed to a search of my device.

Also, does the device have a function that allows you to customize your own key letters to substitute for a longer word - like teaching the device that typing "yr" should result in "year"?

These are two functions I sorely miss from my BB devices.

Default Re: Universal Search

Google search (the app that opens up when you long press the menu button) can search your device if you enable it in the settings. It can search music, web history, books, movies, contacts, etc. Is that what you are looking for? Or are you trying to search your files?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

I use universal search to search through my emails, applications, how to's, downloads, etc. My BB would take my search word(s) and retrieve any mention of the word(s) anywhere on the device.

What do I enable in settings to access the universal, as opposed to mere Google, search, and how do I do so?

I don't think you can do that without using a third-party app. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by chuco35 View Post
    Also, does the device have a function that allows you to customize your own key letters to substitute for a longer word - like teaching the device that typing "yr" should result in "year"?
    I don't know if the stock keyboard supports shortcuts (what you're referring to) but there are 3rd party keyboards that do. Unfortunately, my preferred keyboard app (Swiftkey) is not one of them, so I don't have a recommendation for you. Sorry.

Edit: Perfect Keyboard Pro https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...erfectkeyboard

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk