Kies Emergency Recovery won't work. Display will only go to "Odin mode" ...

maidmarian4

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I did a hard reset (via the phone backup/reset options) on my AT&T SGS3 (previously rooted, but went back to stock with latest update) because it stopped connecting to any wifi. Well, to my surprise, it got stuck at the AT&T page. So, I went to recovery mode, wiped the cache, then selected wipe/reset for good measure. It went to the AT&T logo screen again. So I went to recovery again and then just tried to wipe cache, then start up the phone. AT&T logo screen again.

I then went to try to do Kies on my Macbook (OSX 10.9.2), and found out that it won't work with the new OS. So I tried to do it on my acer netbook (I've used Kies on both devices in the past with no difficulties). Then, my phone booted to a screen that said:

ODIN MODE (in red font)
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I747
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: Yes (1 counts)
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
Warranty Bit: 0
BOOTLOADER AP SWREV: 2
SW REV CHECK FAIL : Fused 2 > Binary 0 (in red font)

What did I do??? :( I've had this phone for about 18 months - so clearly out of warranty. HELP!!!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Are you using Kies v3? The older Kies v2.6 won't work with 4.3 (or newer) firmware. (Same on both the Mac and Windows platforms.)

You could resort to using Odin (just Google it - look for v3.07) on the Acer to completely reload the firmware, which you can find here - select your device in the drop-down list in the upper left and download the latest version.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

maidmarian4

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Are you using Kies v3? The older Kies v2.6 won't work with 4.3 (or newer) firmware. (Same on both the Mac and Windows platforms.)

You could resort to using Odin (just Google it - look for v3.07) on the Acer to completely reload the firmware, which you can find here - select your device in the drop-down list in the upper left and download the latest version.

I tried both about 10 times each (after a fresh uninstall of each one, and reboot of the acer to make sure it was gone). The Kies v3 actually said that it was compatible (so i guess I don't have 4.3 on the semi bricked phone?

If this helps, this is from a doc I made back in OCTOBER 2013 (before the Nov. update) that showed the current info on my phone (dashes are if I really shouldn't share the whole number):
MODEL #: SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
IMEI: 3518------98495
IMEISV: 16
SERIAL NUMBER: R31D----7EH
MOBILE NETWORK TYPE: LTE:14
ANDROID VERSION 4.1.2
BASEBAND VERSION: I747UCDMG2
KERNEL VERSION: 3.0.31 - 1300972
se.infra@S0210-19 #2
SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 8 19:30:05 KST
BUILD NUMBER: JZO54K.I747UCDMG2

I'm going to try the Odin way. I'll download/unzip Odin v3.07, then reload the firmware. I'm wondering though. Which of these do I choose from? This is from an AT&T build (Samsung Galaxy S III (SGH-i747)) that has been rooted once, but I went back to stock with the last update (that I thought was 4.3)...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Which of these do I choose from?
Figures - the site that I listed doesn't show the SGH-i747; they only list the M variant, which is for the rest of North America. I'll have to look on Sammobile for the firmware. Sorry.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

maidmarian4

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Figures - the site that I listed doesn't show the SGH-i747; they only list the M variant, which is for the rest of North America. I'll have to look on Sammobile for the firmware. Sorry.

That's where I was confused. :) Hey - you are uber helpful, so no worries. Can I use a 4.1.1 version, and then when it's back up and "new," do an OTA update to 4.3? Will that work? I can't find 4.1.2 like I had/have, but I could find the 4.1.1 stock on sammobile.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Can I use a 4.1.1 version, and then when it's back up and "new," do an OTA update to 4.3?
Unfortunately, once the phone has been updated to 4.3 (which is the update I assume you're referring to from November) it cannot be loaded with an earlier version - the Knox component in the 4.3 bootloader will prevent that.

Since you appear to have access to Sammobile that would be the place to look for the 4.3 firmware (I tried that last night but it refused to show any models).

grenefroggie

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
If someone you know hasn't updated their AT&T S3 to 4.3 then you can hook their phone up to Kies and have it download the update to your PC. Once it is downloaded, you can extract the TAR file from it and flash manually with Odin. Otherwise, keep searching the WWW.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Drat! No 4.3 firmware to be found...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The Kies v3 actually said that it was compatible (so i guess I don't have 4.3 on the semi bricked phone?)
When you used Kies, you did try the second item in the Tools menu, right?
- in the Kies software, select the second item in the Tools menu and just follow the prompts to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI/Serial Number (both found under the battery - it's ok to remove the battery at this point)
- the Kies software should start downloading the correct firmware for your phone from the Internet; once that's done (depending on your Internet connection speed) it'll begin downloading that to the phone (this probably takes 10 minutes or so)

maidmarian4

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
First - I just noticed that I said "compatible" but I meant in-compatible. The Kies v3 said my device was incompatible. That's what made me wonder if I don't have 4.3 on my SGS3?

Second, I think I'll re-download Kies and make sure to follow your steps. I know I did enter in the model number and serial number (not the IMEI). But, I'll take a screenshot of what it says when it gets stuck and hopefully we can get somewhere from there. :) You are awesome for helping!!! :-D

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
That's what made me wonder if I don't have 4.3 on my SGS3?
You definitely have 4.3 on your phone - the Odin Mode information that you listed in your first post confirms it (that line about 'Warranty Bit' wasn't present in the earlier firmware; it came along with the Knox component in the bootloader).

So you should be using Kies v3; and remember to run it once before you try flashing the phone because it should prompt you to load the latest updates.

After entering the model number and IMEI (or Serial number, whichever it prompts you for), it should download the firmware from the Internet and then start the flashing process. I've never bothered looking for the file that it downloads but as a previous poster noted, it may be worth looking for that if the flash fails for some reason, and perhaps you could use that with Odin.

maidmarian4

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
You definitely have 4.3 on your phone - the Odin Mode information that you listed in your first post confirms it (that line about 'Warranty Bit' wasn't present in the earlier firmware; it came along with the Knox component in the bootloader).

So you should be using Kies v3; and remember to run it once before you try flashing the phone because it should prompt you to load the latest updates.

After entering the model number and IMEI (or Serial number, whichever it prompts you for), it should download the firmware from the Internet and then start the flashing process. I've never bothered looking for the file that it downloads but as a previous poster noted, it may be worth looking for that if the flash fails for some reason, and perhaps you could use that with Odin.

Ok, I'm going to try that. I've been DYING using my husband's old iPhone 4 as a temporary phone. I HATE HATE HATE IT! I need my SGS3 baby back!

maidmarian4

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I've done this process a gazillion times, and it's not working. I get to a page (after it downloads the file for emergency recovery) that says,
"failed to upgrade firmware due to an unexpected error. Do you want to run firmware emergency recovery now?"
There is a recovery code provided. I then select "emergency recovery" and enter in the code.
I run that, and then every time, have received this message:
"Unsupported device alert" "The connected device is not supported by Kies 3. Check which devices are supported and try again. (*If an error is encountered while upgrading the firmware, use the firmware emergency recovery mode and try again.) There is a "confirm" button to close the alert. Then it goes back to the main page.

maidmarian4

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site

Ok, so where and how would I find the file? Obviously it looks like it downloaded the upgrade, but I'm guessing the computer is hiding it somewhere? I want to try Odin - or if anyone can ever find the AT&T SGS 3 4.3 update file uploaded somewhere...

***Can I just flash something else on it? I've only ever rooted to remove bloatware and add some customization - but never to flash another rom. Would it mess it up more in this state if I just flash a different custom rom on it?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing the computer is hiding it somewhere?
Yeah, it must be hiding it pretty well - I looked through the various Kies directories and couldn't find any trace of what it downloaded.
Can I just flash something else on it?
I'm the wrong person to ask there; it appears that the hacker community has had varying levels of success with the different carrier versions - the only flavor that I've paid close attention to is the Verizon version, and that thing is locked up pretty tightly. I honestly can't tell you what's possible with your carrier model. Sorry.

maidmarian4

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, just thought I'd tell you, Sunday I chatted online with an AT&T tech support person. They spent an hour and a half researching and trying to find out how to help me (I just didn't tell them that it had a flash counter at "1 attempts." So, he said he'd call Samsung tomorrow (Monday) and see how this Kies thing works, then call me back later in the evening. So I spent from 5pm-7:30 pm on the phone yesterday. "We" (yes, both myself and the AT&T techie) ended up on hold trying to get to a good tech support with Samsung. We found out through questioning the last CS rep, that we were transferred several times because our problem had to go to the cream of the crop, highest level tech support. Good thing he never asked me about the flash counter! LOL

Needless to say, I was walked through Kies once again, asked to use the backup/recovery code on my Macbook after I downloaded Kies (apparently, despite what it says online, Kies for Mac works with the older and newer 3.4+ android). Once again, it didn't work. But, while we were waiting for it to do it's thing, the Samsung guy decided that I would probably have a problem. So, he wrote up a ticket and asked me to call back if it didn't work. He said that despite AT&T not covering me through warranty, that Samsung had me under warranty until the end of April 2014! That after I gave them the ticket number, to say that I needed a "repair on my device that is not powering on." At that point, they'd basically just get it and flash it, then send it back to me... for free.

So last night after Kies failing again, I just went to the tech support via chat with my ticket number. She told me that I could go to my local Best Buy (w/o a receipt) and all they would do is flash it for me for FREE and it'll work like a charm again. So, I plan on doing that today. I'm hoping the flash counter won't be something that stops them, and they will just re-flash the firmware. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks for your continued help... I hope I get out of this dead end!!! :-D

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
She told me that I could go to my local Best Buy (w/o a receipt) and all they would do is flash it for me for FREE and it'll work like a charm again.
Guess it's time for me to visit a Best Buy - I've seen this mentioned a couple of times but haven't confirmed it myself - and see if this is a viable option to recommend to others.

Thanks for your follow-up and let us know how it goes. Good luck.

V Srikanth147

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
when im upgrading my s gt i9000 by kies my phne is bricked i recovering it by download mode by pt file after dhis my phone is not oning what can i do

cskhwatcom

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
Any one help me please ?
while i was using kies program i faced this problem ( failed to upgrade firmware due to an unexpected error . do you want to run firmware emergency recovery now ? ) . i haven't any firmware emergency recovery .
i will be waiting the solve .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08