S3 won't turn on after factory reset

ruca32

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I just got an S3 from my friend. The phone was working just fine and then she performed a factory reset before handing it off to me. Now the phone will not turn on past the samsung screen. I have no idea what to do - I've restarted it in recovery mode and clicked factory reset again and then reboot and it still won't turn on. Is there something that I'm missing that I should be doing?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

Sorry about your problem; unfortunately it's somewhat common. You can try the following:
- boot into Recovery mode and clear the cache
- shut the phone off completely and pull the battery for a couple of minutes and then reinsert it, then power it on again

If none of the above appear to make any difference then you'll have to reload the firmware from scratch. I'd suggest using the Kies software (just Google it - if the phone had the 4.3 firmware then you'll need Kies v3). Just choose the second item in the Tools menu (Firmware upgrade and initialization) and follow the instructions.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
I'm in the same boat, and tried the Kies Firmware Upgrade and Initialisation but it says it won't support my phone's model number
You are entering the model number in CAPS? (Kies is very dumb about that.)

Are you using the correct version of Kies? (If your phone had 4.3 or greater firmware you need to use Kies v3; if it had earlier firmware you need to use Kies v2.6.)

If none of that works then you can try manually loading the firmware using a tool called Odin (just Google it - look for v3.07; find a source on XDA). Depending on your model number you can find the latest firmware online or over in the XDA forums. Instructions on how to use Odin can be found here.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

Sorry about your problem; unfortunately it's somewhat common. You can try the following:
- boot into Recovery mode and clear the cache
- shut the phone off completely and pull the battery for a couple of minutes and then reinsert it, then power it on again

If none of the above appear to make any difference then you'll have to reload the firmware from scratch. I'd suggest using the Kies software (just Google it - if the phone had the 4.3 firmware then you'll need Kies v3). Just choose the second item in the Tools menu (Firmware upgrade and initialization) and follow the instructions.

Zipdiggity

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
This is a old thread but with over 6k posts I hope you see this. I have the exact same problem. Want to give a old S3 as a kids first phone. I did a factory reset and now cant get past the Samsung logo.

Troubleshooting
  1. took out the battery
  2. booted in recovery and wiped partition
  3. Used Kies and reloaded firmware

Still no joy. It is a T-Mobile S3. Do you know what I should try next? Im not a total noob but have never rooted if thats the next option. I'm open to it just will have to google how to do it.

SEJohnsen

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
This happens frequently with all the Galaxy models - S4, S5, S6, S7 etc. What you need to do is hold down the home key for 30+ seconds while it is stuck on the splash screen, then release. You may need to do it more than once. The phone will eventually boot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey