4.3 update will not install

movrshakr

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
My ATT S3 was just offered the 4.3 update last night. I think it was delayed to this point because I only had 900MB of free space until a few days ago when I deleted some backups and got it up to about 4GB free.

However, after the long download and install process, at the very end it said "install failed" (no reason). Is there any way to determine what caused the fail, i.e., is there a log somewhere?

A side comment, during the process, I was asked if I wanted to install this unsigned, untrusted update. huh? An official OTA update is unsigned, untrusted?

mobilecrackers

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
My ATT S3 was just offered the 4.3 update last night. I think it was delayed to this point because I only had 900MB of free space until a few days ago when I deleted some backups and got it up to about 4GB free.

However, after the long download and install process, at the very end it said "install failed" (no reason). Is there any way to determine what caused the fail, i.e., is there a log somewhere?

A side comment, during the process, I was asked if I wanted to install this unsigned, untrusted update. huh? An official OTA update is unsigned, untrusted?

if you are root, you can find the log here
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]/cache/recovery/last_log[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]i dont have the idea about the last one[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]try the update again [/FONT]

movrshakr

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
There were numerous errors, failures and unknown functions in /cache/recovery/last_log.

Also, there were 7 files in /cache/recovery/. Since all my files are getting 1970 file dates (yes, the phone's date/time is correct), I am not sure whether last_log or last_log.5 is the latest one.

A thought just occurred to me: as in linux, is there a hardware date and a held-in-the-OS date in android? I remember in linux having to do "hwclock --systohc" to store the correct time (after updating it manually or with ntp) into the hw clock. So, I am wondering if my phone has a hw clock incorrectly at 1970 and an OS time that is correct?

mobilecrackers

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
There were numerous errors, failures and unknown functions in /cache/recovery/last_log.

Also, there were 7 files in /cache/recovery/. Since all my files are getting 1970 file dates (yes, the phone's date/time is correct), I am not sure whether last_log or last_log.5 is the latest one.

A thought just occurred to me: as in linux, is there a hardware date and a held-in-the-OS date in android? I remember in linux having to do "hwclock --systohc" to store the correct time (after updating it manually or with ntp) into the hw clock. So, I am wondering if my phone has a hw clock incorrectly at 1970 and an OS time that is correct?
ANY way have you tried updating with kies

mobilecrackers

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Have never done anything with kies. Is it an app?

are you joking ?
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Kies[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] is a lot of things. It's a way to sync and backup your contacts and device data, it's a front end for transferring media like music and video between your computer and your phone, and as you've noticed, it's a method to update the device firmware on Samsung phones.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]it is an official software made by Samsung [/FONT]

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Beats me, but they all seem to be like this - every Android phone that I've used always has bogus date/time recorded when using custom recovery software to write backup files.
You'd think we were still living in the DOS days :mad:

Edit: judging by the contents of /system/bin the hwclock command isn't supported:

ATFWD-daemon
abcc
acdbtest
adb
am
app_process
applypatch
at_distributor
atrace
bintvoutservice
bmgr
bootanimation
bridgemgrd
btnvtool
bu
bugreport
cat
chmod
chown
clatd
cmp
connfwexe
content
createsystemfile
csview
curl
dalvikvm
date
dd
ddexe
ddexe_real
debuggerd
dexopt
df
dhcpcd
diag_mdlog
diag_socket_log
diag_uart_log
dmesg
dnsmasq
drmdiagapp
drmserver
drs
ds_fmc_appd
dttexe
dumpcrash
dumpstate
dumpsys
e2fsck
flatland
fmconfig
fsck.exfat
fsck_msdos
ftmdaemon
geomagneticd
getevent
getprop
gsiff_daemon.bak
gzip
hci_qcomm_init
hd
hostapd
hostapd_cli
icd
id
ifconfig
iftop
ime
immvibed
input
insmod
installd
insthk
ioctl
ionice
ip
ip6tables
ipruleset
iptables
keystore
kiesexe
kill
linker
ln
log
logcat
logwrapper
lpmkey
ls
lsmod
lsof
macloader
make_ext4fs
md5
mdnsd
media
mediaserver
mfgloader
mkdir
mkfs.exfat
mksh
mm-adec-omxQcelp13-test
mm-adec-omxaac-test
mm-adec-omxevrc-test
mm-adec-omxwma-test
mm-aenc-omxaac-test
mm-aenc-omxamr-test
mm-aenc-omxevrc-test
mm-aenc-omxqcelp13-test
mm-audio-alsa-test
mm-jpeg-dec-test
mm-jpeg-enc-test
mm-jpeg-enc-test-client
mm-mpo-dec-test
mm-pp-daemon
mm-qcamera-daemon
mm-qcamera-test
mm-qcamera-testsuite-client
mm-vdec-omx-test
monkey
mount
mpdecision
mtpd
mv
mvpd
n_smux
nandread
ndc
netcfg
netd
netstat
newfs_msdos
nl_listener
notify
npsmobex
orientationd
p2p_supplicant
ping
playback
playlpm
pm
port-bridge
pppd
prepare_param.sh
printenv
ps
qemu-props
qemud
qmiproxy
qmuxd
qseecom_sample_client
qseecom_security_test
qseecomd
racoon
radish
reboot
renice
requestsync
rild
rm
rmdir
rmmod
rmt_storage
route
run-as
samsungpowersoundplay
sapd
schedtest
schedtop
scranton_RD
screencap
screenshot
sdcard
secstarter
secure_storage_daemon
selinux-network.sh
sendevent
sensors.qcom
sensorservice
service
servicemanager
setconsole
setprop
settings
setup_fs
sh
sleep
smd
smdexe
ss-presetup.sh
start
stop
surfaceflinger
svc
sync
syscheck
system_server
tc
test_gemini
thermald
tima_dump_log
time_daemon
toolbox
touch
touchinput
uiautomator
umount
uptime
usbhub
usbhub_init
v4l2-qcamera-app
vdc
vmstat
vold
vpnclientpm
watchprops
wdsdaemon
wipe
wiperiface
wiperiface_v02
wlandutservice
wm
wmdsi
wpa_supplicant

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Rooted and CWM 6.0.4.7.
And you've never read anything that told you NOT to accept OTAs on a rooted phone, particularly one with custom recovery software? Time to go back to Rooting 101.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

movrshakr

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
And you've never read anything that told you NOT to accept OTAs on a rooted phone, particularly one with custom recovery software?

No. Please do not forget...do not assume that everybody is as knowledgeable as you are. Perhaps even, not as smart as you.

I thought that since the ROM and its kernel were original, stock, ATT/Samsung, that a new version stock ATT/Samsung ROM could replace it.

Time to go back to Rooting 101.

Please provide a link.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
No. Please do not forget...do not assume that everybody is as knowledgeable as you are.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone, and I don't consider myself more knowledgeable or smarter than anyone else. I just try to read as much as possible before I mess with something that can potentially ruin my device. I can't count the number of problem posts I've read that begin with "I rooted my device and..."
I thought that since the ROM and its kernel were original, stock, ATT/Samsung, that a new version stock ATT/Samsung ROM could replace it.
If you were using a tool like Odin or the Kies software to completely rewrite the firmware then this would be true. OTAs behave differently since they're updating an existing OS (not replacing it), and there are different requirements, often depending on the specific OTA. Here are a few of the things that can throw a monkey wrench into the works:
- custom recovery software
- apps that have been frozen using something like Titanium Backup
- apps that have been moved to system (or from system to user)
- modifications to the UI framework (ex. changing the quick toggles to blue instead of green)
Please provide a link.
There's not a single link that provides this information - at a minimum you should be reading through ALL of the posts in each sticky thread in the rooting sub-forum for your phone model. That way you'll get a good background on what people have encountered as they've rooted/unrooted their device.
You should also read through the top 20 or so other threads in the rooting sub-forum.
Then you should do a search for anything that you're going to attempt that you haven't seen addressed in the above.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01