SD Cards on s3

jsk12

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys!
So I just bought a new SD card for my phone and it's impossible trying to get it to work. I did format it but my apps and files still won't download to my SD card. How do I get it to store my files on the external memory or how do I transfer all my files to the SD card so I can free up some space? I have already deleted some apps and photos but I don't want to delete any more plus it does not make much of a difference.Seems I'm the only one experiencing this since I couldn't find anything online so any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
First of all, does your SD card work at all in your phone? What I mean is, can you write files onto it or if you place a file in the card, can you open it in the phone? If so, then it's a matter of settings.

Sadly, you can't just say 'Phone, start saving everything on the SD card!'. It depends on the app you're using; for instance, some camera apps allow you to save the photos to the SD card, some don't. Not all apps support SD cards, even if your phone does.

If you have media files you want to move to the SD card to free up some space, you can do so just like you would on a computer: use a File Manager (either the one that came with your phone or a 3rd party app downloaded from Google Play) and start copying/moving files from one folder (your phone's internal memory) to another (your SD Card).

As for app installation, again, although your phone supports it, not all apps allow you to save them to SD Card. Some will allow you to save all 'extra data' (no app will allow you to fully save the app files onto SD card, it's just how Android works now), some will allow you to only move certain downloaded files, some will not let you move anything at all. It's not possible to set the SD card as the default installation path for apps. You have to download/install them onto your phone and then move them to the SD card via the Application Manager.

But, if you're feeling adventurous, if you root your phone and apply the necessary hacks (can't help you on how to do this exactly, I just know that it is possible), you can make the phone 'think' your SD card is part of the internal memory.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar