Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T Galaxy S3: Battery drain visual glitch?

Okay, this may sound odd, but here it is. So, I bought this last night off craigslist. The guys said it just dint hold good charge, so I figured it was just the battery. So, I plugged it in. I let it charge, (or thought so) and then unplugged it. It was at 100% and then suddenly 5%. So, then I knew it wasnt the battery. So, then I tried repairing battery with an app, which seemed silly, but then I thought it worked. The batter stayed around 85% for a little while, and then I factory reset it because it had other info on it. After that, the problem arose again, so I repaired battery yet again, but it doesn't help. More or less, I think it's either a visual or a software glitch, or it's a hardware issue. I contacted samsung about it and they said they have never heard of this issue before. I find it VERY weird as well. Basically, it's like the phone isn't even keeping track of the battery, and just randomly spitting out random readouts. Not sure if anyone has heard of this, it seems like a rare if not an unknown issue. Any tips would help.

It is no longer in warranty, and they estimate it would be a $75 charge even just to replace a charger port. I can send it in for free though for diagnostics and it won't cost me.

Global Posts
    18,459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: AT&T Galaxy S3: Battery drain visual glitch?

Quote Originally Posted by dynamicaura View Post
    Okay, this may sound odd, but here it is. So, I bought this last night off craigslist. The guys said it just dint hold good charge, so I figured it was just the battery. So, I plugged it in. I let it charge, (or thought so) and then unplugged it. It was at 100% and then suddenly 5%. So, then I knew it wasnt the battery. So, then I tried repairing battery with an app, which seemed silly, but then I thought it worked. The batter stayed around 85% for a little while, and then I factory reset it because it had other info on it. After that, the problem arose again, so I repaired battery yet again, but it doesn't help. More or less, I think it's either a visual or a software glitch, or it's a hardware issue. I contacted samsung about it and they said they have never heard of this issue before. I find it VERY weird as well. Basically, it's like the phone isn't even keeping track of the battery, and just randomly spitting out random readouts. Not sure if anyone has heard of this, it seems like a rare if not an unknown issue. Any tips would help.

It is no longer in warranty, and they estimate it would be a $75 charge even just to replace a charger port. I can send it in for free though for diagnostics and it won't cost me.
    If you take the battery out does it appear to be bulged? You can test by placing on a flat surface and try to spin it.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Nope, I have done that. Also, I know it's not the battery, because I tried my friends battery and it did same thing. His was at 23% in his phone, put it in my phone, said it needed to be charged it was under 5%. Put it back in his, back to 23%. It's literally like it's not reading the battery accurately at all.

Global Posts
    18,459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Nope, I have done that. Also, I know it's not the battery, because I tried my friends battery and it did same thing. His was at 23% in his phone, put it in my phone, said it needed to be charged it was under 5%. Put it back in his, back to 23%. It's literally like it's not reading the battery accurately at all.
    Ok. I am not sure if this will work: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.
    Follow the instructions to cllear the cache.

Here is the thing...you should have a fair amount of power to do this. If it truly is bad battery reporting, this shouldn't be an issue.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Nope. When I turned it off, it was at 43%. Turned it on, and it was 14%, then 3 seconds later, 8%, plugged it in, now it's 95%
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

unplugged it, instantly said 99%. I have no actual idea of how much charge the battery has, but I do believe it's actually near full.

Global Posts
    18,459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

unplugged it, instantly said 99%. I have no actual idea of how much charge the battery has, but I do believe it's actually near full.
    Then I would try clearing cache in recovery. Might be corrupted data for battery reporting.

From an SOKP Nexus 5

Phone Timeline
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

How do I do that?

Global Posts
    18,459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

How do I do that?
    The link I posted above.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I already did that

Global Posts
    18,459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I already did that
    I am not sure what else to suggest. Sorry.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline

Sounds like the seller was offloading his problem on you...

There are a couple of things to try before sending it to Samsung for repair (or writing it off and selling it for parts):
    1. Borrow your friend's battery; turn the phone completely off; put the good battery in and charge it overnight. If it doesn't show an accurate battery charge/discharge pattern then proceed to the next step.
    2. Reload the stock firmware from scratch using the Kies software or a tool called Odin. Or if there's a Best Buy near you take the phone in to them and see if they'll nuke it for you.

If neither of the above suggestions produce any results then you have a hardware problem (probably not the micro-USB port).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Well, unfortunately I don't think my friend would let me use his battery overnight. Also I rooted the phone, put a custom rom on it, also put original rom back on, as well as factory reset it 3 times. This video is a better hands on example.

Guess you got a dud then.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk