- 3 Posts
Access and rescue data on a dead screen unit?
The unthinkable happened. I held my GS3 oh so dearly but, evidently, not too firmly in hand. The first time I dropped it, the glass shattered. Then, before I even had a chance to replace the glass shell, it hit the floor again! This time, the screen finally stopped working.
Despite the damage, I can still hear the vibration followed shortly by the AT&T start-up tune when I power her on, which should indicate that sheís at least not brain dead and is otherwise fully functional.
Unfortunately, I had a bunch of stuff on there that I didn't get to or know how to back up before the accident. Obviously, all the multimedia crap can be accessed on a PC via USB, but what about other things, like:
- unsynched phone contacts
- game progress or, more to the point,
- licenses of purchased digital goods
- or anything else you can think of
Apart from fixing the phone (which is another topic) is there any way to access and save that data? Iíve got a new GS3; can I transfer my purchases, contacts, and game progress data there?
Thanks for any help.
- 05-17-2014, 10:21 AM #2
- 6,449 Posts
Re: Access and rescue data on a dead screen unit?
Welcome to the forums!
As long as you don't have a lockscreen enabled you can just use the Kies software on your computer to backup most of what you've mentioned (contacts, pictures/videos, SMS/MMS, call logs, etc.) - then you can use Kies to restore it to the replacement.
You're out of luck with app data though (ex. game progress) unless you can run an app on the phone (ex. Helium: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup) that allows you to make that kind of backup.
If you really must have full access to the damaged phone you could use something like http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QW3TBK/...idcentral00-20 which would allow you to see the phone screen on a TV or monitor and interact with the UI using a USB mouse/keyboard.
Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
- By brandonzak in forum Samsung Galaxy S5Replies: 51Last Post: 06-18-2016, 11:54 AM
- By mjdotts in forum Samsung Galaxy S4Replies: 17Last Post: 06-08-2015, 02:14 AM
- By AZwldcats in forum VerizonReplies: 8Last Post: 03-29-2015, 09:47 AM
- By shaungilmer in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 ActiveReplies: 1Last Post: 05-17-2014, 05:54 PM
- By Chandler7 in forum HTC One M7Replies: 3Last Post: 05-17-2014, 01:16 PM