- 1 Posts
Any way to speed up/fix my S3?
Alright, I know I'm about to receive lots of hate for this one: I've decided to switch back to an iPhone when I'm able to upgrade.
I know, I know, bad decision. Its just a lot easier since I own a Mac and everyone around me is running an Apple device.
Anyways, back to the topic.
For the past few weeks, my S3 has not been acting the same (maybe it knows...). I'll be doing work in an app, and the phone randomly decides to start updating apps (even though I'm not even on wifi which is where it is supposed to be updating). While updating my apps, it locks up my phone. Everything begins to lag and freeze no matter what I'm working on. Now, I know updating apps in the background takes a lot out of the phone, but its never been THIS bad. Speaking of wifi, my phone hates wifi. I'll connect to one of our home networks, but it immediately disconnects. My father's note 2 is running the latest OS (as my phone is), and his has no problem at all. It isn't just with my home wifi. If I'm at Starbucks or somewhere with free wifi, it refuses to connect, even though it claims it is. All of my settings have remained the same ever since I got the phone. I've never had a problem until a few weeks ago. Moving on, I've also been encountering a problem where I'll be typing, and the keyboard just stops. The keys I pressed will be enlarged (as usual), but it just gets stuck there. I've also noticed when I go to unlock the phone and start to type my pin (now pattern thing), it just stops and freezes. I'll wait a second and start again, only to have the screen go black and I have to restart the pattern/pin.
My next problem isn't my S3's fault, but rather Apple. I threw my SIM back into my old iPhone since I was so fed up with my S3 the other day. Now iMessage is holding my number hostage and won't let me receive texts from any of my iPhone contacts (about 99% of my contacts). I've deleted my number from iMessage and deactivated it on my Mac and iPad, but it still won't work. Now, I know this probably isn't the place for this problem, but it sure isn't helping anything. (If anyone has any other ideas besides calling Apple, let me know)
So I guess my problem is...is there any way to fix my S3? Can I speed it up? Can I delete a file? I'm all for resetting, as my photos and contacts are all backed up to my computer. I just need this phone to last me until September. Oh, one more thing: I ALWAYS delete apps running in the background (hold the home down, clear it). I'm running the latest OS for the AT&T S3 (not positive what that is).
Sorry for the long post, but I hope someone here can help get my phone running like new again!
- 06-15-2014, 01:42 AM #2
Re: Any way to speed up/fix my S3?
Welcome to Android Central! Some thoughts:
- If you have a microSD card inserted, see what happens if you remove it (remembering to unmount first in the Settings>Storage menu) and then reboot. A corrupt SD card can cause odd behavior.
- Clearing the system cache partition can help with various issues. No personal data is lost. [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.
- Habitually force closing apps can be counterproductive, because Android prefers to have RAM somewhat full of open apps, which allows it to open and switch apps more quickly and efficiently. Constantly force closing apps means that when an app reopens, it requires additional CPU/battery to do so. Remember also that Android will typically open apps automatically, depending on usage patterns and other priorities determined by the software, so you can get into an endless cycle of force closing and opening an app--which, again, requires extra CPU cycles and battery. See these articles for more info: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central, http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...m-android.html
Is there a viable launcher alternative to "Zeam Launcher?" My entire Android world is based on it...By AC Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 3Last Post: 10-10-2014, 05:53 AM
- By Robgo in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 4Last Post: 08-24-2014, 03:10 AM
- By AC Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 06-20-2014, 09:54 AM
- By JellyBeanGurl in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3Replies: 19Last Post: 06-17-2014, 08:00 PM
- By gatorgirl013 in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 06-15-2014, 01:56 AM