Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By anedge
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Android 2.3.5

Default Early impressions of the AT&T GS3 KK update?

Anyone game to post early impressions of the update? Did it go smoothly? Are your apps working well? Be brutal, but honest.

Global Posts
    893 Global Posts

Default Re: Early impressions of the AT&T GS3 KK update?

Haven't had any big problems. Been running it for two days. The white icons at the top disappear into my lightly colored wallpaper. Also I now have three different Samsung logo boot screens that it runs through. Odd but it doesn't effect the phone.

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

I have noticed that S-Voice no longer works. At first I thought it affected my galaxy gear but it no longer functions on the S3 either. After saying a voice command the phone and gg reply: "Sorry, something went wrong with the server. Please try again."

Is anyone else having this problem?

UPDATE: I went into application manager/all/svoice and stopped the service, restarted the phone and svoice is now working properly.

Install went smoothly. KK seems to be a bit more responsive and battery like is better (so far). As stated above, the light colored icons on the top are harder to see now. No issues with any of the apps yet

Been about 24 hours.. no problem downloading or installing.. Did a clearing system cache operation to clean out files left behind and it seems to boot a bit faster.. Battery seems about the same or slightly better..I haven't noticed any changes to the notification bar design, phone dialer or the camera..In other words, I'm not seeing any big differences with KK from JB All's well so far!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Android 2.3.5

Oh, forgot to ask, but can you give ballpark locations? i.e. "North Texas", "Dallas-area", etc.

Install went smoothly. For me the battery life seems to be worse got about 10 hours out of it yesterday with moderate use. I have had Juice Defender installed since ICS and have not made any drastic changes to it.Right now I am averaging about 10 minutes for every 1% of battery usage. I
    was getting about 15 minutes before. Not terrible but I was expecting better results. As far as my apps go I had to re-install about 15 apps that did not convert over. Some were from the play store and the others from Amazon app store. I am not having the issues of moving my apps to the SD card that people are talking about with kit kat, I am guessing that this is something that has been fixed for this release maybe? I am hoping that the OS will settle in a few days and everything will be fine. I am on the MS gulf coast.

I have had no issues so far. Don't notice much different but the emojis are fun. I'm in central Illinois.

my experience is about the same as others.
    no real problems with the installation and to be honest I cant tell much difference other than battery life seems to have improved quite a bit.
    I also do not like the white battery indicator but cant seem to find a way to change it.
    I did do a factory reset the day after installing the update.
    east Texas area.

The update went ok. I also did the factory reset. It was my first time doing one, I did the partition cache first then did the factory reset. Make sure you do the back up, I used the Kies to do that went great. The restart takes a few seconds don't be alarmed. I also noticed the pc didn't recognize the phone after the reset, I turned on the "Nearby devices" in the settings and it seemed to worl after a while. Good luck...

Like my other friends, I too am enjoying improved battery life with KK. I changed my wallpaper to a slightly deeper shade to account for the white notification icons. I also ran a factory reset after the upgrade, considering this is a major release of sorts.

One thing though, I did not wait to be notified about the upgrade. I checked for it on Thurs AM (US Eastern time) and upgraded my GS3. I live near Cincinnati, Ohio.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

I'm not installing it. My Note Tablet got updated against my wishes, and I HATE the white icon for battery. I hate that they are making everything plain white. WHY? They want to look like the bland iphony?

Who can I complain to....maybe they will give us the option of keeping our color icons. There was nothing wrong with the color icons.

The update went smoothly. It has slight difference on the notification. Before the KK update, any new notification on my phone I just click the clear option and it will be gone. Now I have to click it one at a time to close it out.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

It downloaded it on its own and it keeps asking me to install it. Don't want it. Can I get rid of the download and/or get rid of the permanent notification telling me to install??

Pros: Aesthetically I like it. Nice refresh of something I already liked about touchwiz. My phone also seems to be running smoother vs 4.3. Everything I use my phone for is working fantastic. Also battery consumption while using iheartradio seems to be better

Cons: yet another bombardment of the 'latest and greatest' set of bloatware from AT&T. Seriously. I don't need it. Overall battery life is worse for me. About 2 hours less with the same amount of usage vs 4.3.

On a side note the battery issue was enough for my wife to let me get a zerolemon 7000mAh setup.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Well it just now installed ON ITS OWN without me doing anything. Now I'm REALLY ticked. Flash is now broken when I needed it for weather radar screens. I want my color back. If I wanted white everything I'd go get an iPhone.

Can you even roll back to Jelly bean somehow? Then when you do, does at&t push kitkat back out to you again?

VERY upset.

My install went automatically and went through smoothly. After the install though......Totally different story because it just crapping my phone up beyond imagination. My phone got drastically slower at waking up when unlocking, loves to freeze when I lock then 10 seconds later unlock which will not allow me to do anything for a good minute or two. Freezes ever once in a while, is super choppy, and goes unresponsive when it wants too. The plus side is the battery did slightly get better, but not good enough to outweigh the cons..

You need to wipe the cache partition or do a factory reset. You need to go into system recovery to do this. Shut the phone down completely and wait a minute or two. Press and hold the volume up rocker, power button and home screen button simultaneously and release all at the same time when the Samsung logo appears ( about 2-3seconds). You will boot into recovery mode. Use the volume down key to highlight the "wipe cache partition" and then press the power button to initiate. It should automatically highlight "reboot system now" after it does its job. Press power button and it will reboot the system. Let me know if it solves your problem, it did for me. Thanks
    Vas Naiker likes this.

Does anyone know if this update is available from Kies yet?

After a week I like it, but that has more to do with how much I hated the last update. The last Jellybean sucked 15% of battery an hour with Bluetooh, GPS, half of the syncs and Google Now turned off and with me barely using it. With KitKat the drain is around 6% an hour. More than I like but whole lot better than before.

I’m not thrilled with the status bar fading to barely readable. Other than that I haven’t noticed much difference.

I did notice one bug that was fixed in KitKat (at least on the GS3 since 4.1.2). I would have navigation going in the car...and have the phone connected to the AUX channel...the turn by turn voice; while playing music in the stock player would sometimes be piped thru the phone speaker mistakenly and the volume of the turn by turn voice would be random. With KitKat...this operation is what you would expect...turn by turn voice is the same and gently pauses the music that is playing...VERY pleased about this.

I've noticed that the "4.3 lag" is gone and (at least based on running for 2 weeks) the occasional random reboot does not occur anymore.

Hey Axoid, see my post above about wiping the cache partition, works wonders!! With the radios turned off, I get about 1% drain an hour during the night. Also put power saving mode on. Or you can do a factory reset, which a lot of people recommend. Let me know how it goes

After just a couple of days my battery life seems to be greatly improved however at the same time it seems to take considerably longer to charge. Overall everything seems quicker & smoother. I haven't tested it yet but I'm hoping I get the same range from my Plantronics Bluetooth earpiece I used to get before the 4.3 update which really decreased the distance I could be away from the phone before disconnection. So far so good, I like it a lot better than 4.3.