Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Search update question

I have read that the latest update to the Google search app provides the ability to access Google Now by saying Ok Google from the lock screen or elsewhere. My phone updated to the latest version but there are no options in the app to enable these features. I'm wondering if this is occurring with everyone here as well. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    9,143 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Google Search update question

Quote Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
    I have read that the latest update to the Google search app provides the ability to access Google Now by saying Ok Google from the lock screen or elsewhere. My phone updated to the latest version but there are no options in the app to enable these features. I'm wondering if this is occurring with everyone here as well. Thanks

The feature is rolling out in stages based on your account, not based on the search app being updated. I would suggest waiting a few days and see if the feature becomes available. It might be silently rolled out to your device, meaning, there won't be an update for you in the Play Store.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

OK thanks..The blogs stated something like that but since the app just updated a day or so ago, I couldn't figure out why the options in the settings didn't appear. I'll sit tight and see how things roll..
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

My app updated just now and STILL no features to enable Ok Google from any apps or the lock screen.. Has anyone else here having the same issue?

I got the update today but nothing changed in Google search settings. Co-worker has same phone HTC One M8 but different carrier and her update appeared at the same time. The difference is that her phone got the whole deal and it works great! Don't really get why it's not all there at the same time. Also my update says version 3.5.15? I thought it was 3.55.14??

Posted via Android Central App

My Sprint M8 updated to Google Search 3.5.15 today and I DON'T have the 'ok Google' from any screen feature. My wife has the Sprint Note 2 and updated to 3.5.14 and has the feature. What's up Google?

I have six Google accounts and the most recent account shows the "ok Google" options in the settings, but the rest don't. Strange.

I am still waiting on it to show up on my SGS3 as well.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Based on this so far, it's sure a mystery why some devices have the feature and others don't. Seems like my app has updated twice in the past week or more and still no changes. Why bother marketing the feature for 'everyone' if it's not available. I guess the good news is that some that have it on the Moto X say it's a battery drain since it's always listening.. just seems cool though

UPDATE: Evidently the GS3 isn't the only device that the latest version of this app (3.5.15) doesn't have the feature. Android Authority posted this today which shows how to enable it though I haven't done it myself: http://goo.gl/spR520

I think I might have figured out how to get it. I didn't have it yet, so I searched on my phone for "OK Google lock screen"and found this link.
    https://support.google.com/websearch.../6031948?hl=en After visiting the link on my phone, I went back into the Google Now Voice settings and had the extra "OK Google" detection settings.

I have an AT&T SGS3. I hope this helps others

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

I didn't have it yesterday afternoon, but before bed it magically showed up. It wasn't with an update, just I guess when my account was allowed to have it. Works pretty good. Excited about trying it out some more.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by mlett View Post
    I didn't have it yesterday afternoon, but before bed it magically showed up. It wasn't with an update, just I guess when my account was allowed to have it. Works pretty good. Excited about trying it out some more.
    Same here.. I noticed the app updated AGAIN this morning and voila!.. it works great from any home or lock screen.. Am going to monitor the battery usage now, though for the past couple of hours I'm not seeing a bit of difference.. This is "OK Google" big time!

I tested it with my Bluetooth headset in the car just now. It doesn't listen for OK Google on the headset, but it does accept commands via Bluetooth once it is initiated. I figured that is ok b/c I can just turn the Radio down, say OK Google, give the command, then turn it back up. It is great b/c now with Driving mode on, my SGS3 will read SMS and alerts to me through the headset, and I can reply w/o ever looking at my phone.

In case anyone stumbles across this thread I just wanted to provide an updated link. Google moved the support article to another location so the link has changed.

https://support.google.com/websearch.../6031948?hl=en
    Thanked by:
    GSDer