Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Backing up to SD Card...

I'm thinking (just THINKING) of updating to 4.4, but after reading here and talking to a really knowledgeable CSR at AT&T, I'm having my doubts. She suggested backing photos and music to the SD card and removing it before the download, then clear the cache and/or factory reset after (contacts are backed up on Google, and I don't have that many apps). But..how do I figure out how big the music and photo are? I have an 8GB card in there now, with nothing on it, but I can't figure out how to tell how big my music and photo files are. Any way to do this?
    Banned

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Default Re: Backing up to SD Card...

I don't store backup data sets on the SD card of the same device. That's not safe at all. I store backup data sets OFF the device, on at least 2 other media, like a PC's harddisk and a(n encrypted) cloud storage account (free).
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I understand that. I was thinking of copying the music and photos on the card before the update, removing the card from the phone during the update, and then re-installing to the device after a factory reset.

Quote Originally Posted by hybucket View Post
    how do I figure out how big the music and photo are?
    The Storage view seems to vary slightly by carrier (this screenshot is from the Verizon variant) but you should be able to use it to find the information you're looking for - go to Settings -> More (if using the Tab view) -> StorageSent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Unfortunately, mine does not break it down that way.It lists SYSTEM MEMORY, USED SPACE, CACHED DATA and MISC FILES. My USED SPACE is 7 GB, but it isn't broken down as shown in the screen cap above, and I can't find anywhere else where it could be.

You'll have to use a file manager to explore the various directories to see how much space the files you're interested in are taking. ES File Explorer http://market.android.com/details?id...gs.android.pop isn't the most intuitive app but it does provide a good deal of information if you dig around.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk