New unlocked S3 cannot make calls from some locations
I have a brand new, unlocked Galaxy S3 and I'm a Consumer Cellular customer. I post in the AT&T forum because they share cell towers. This is the 3rd unlocked smartphone I have used with CC - the other two had no signal issues. When I got this phone, I did things as usual - put the SIM card in, called Consumer Cellular so they could do things on their end. But the S3 will not make or receive calls from within a mile (or more, not sure) of my house. I tried it inside my house, then went outside knowing I get bad signal inside my house, then drove down the road...no luck. Then I went about 20 miles away and it started working! I could make calls. On the way home, within a mile of my house, I couldn't make calls again.
Here's the info I've gathered so far from troubleshooting:
- If I put the same SIM in another phone, I can make calls. The SIM is fine and I think that means it's not a tower issue.
- I get full bars for signal even though calls don't go through
- When I try to make a call, it either says Emergency Calls Only or it tries for a while and hangs up (no ringing noise).
- I have tried making and receiving calls from multiple phones
- I live in a small city where everyone has AT&T or Verizon. Not some rural area where signal problems are common.
Does anyone have an idea? If I can't figure it out I will have to return the phone. Thanks
- 07-18-2014, 08:55 AM #2
Re: New unlocked S3 cannot make calls from some locations
Both phones show full bars. That's the oddest part - S3 has full bars, can't make calls. Here's where I'm conflicted:
If it's a hardware issue, why does it work across town?
If it's a network issue, why does my other phone work?
I have been trying the phone outside in an area that has excellent cell coverage. No other phones have had issues around my house - none of my prior phones, plenty of family and friends phones, neighbors, etc. Including other S3s.
- 07-18-2014, 11:21 AM #4
- By KVJ in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 2Last Post: 07-18-2014, 11:47 AM
- By diegotristanUK in forum HTC One M8Replies: 1Last Post: 07-18-2014, 11:27 AM
- By AC Question in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 3Replies: 1Last Post: 07-18-2014, 09:31 AM
- By ryg787 in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 07-18-2014, 08:56 AM
- By ob61887 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3Replies: 1Last Post: 07-18-2014, 06:48 AM