Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cooling Question

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out a way to keep my S3 cool while using resource-intensive apps. There appears to be a rather large amount of throttling when the temperature climbs above 100 degrees fahrenheit. So far, I've come up with a few ideas, but I'd like to run them by the community before I commit.

First off, I'm using the factory battery and case.

Given the space between the battery and the back case, do you think a 1mm thick thermal pad could fit in there? In case you don't know what I'm referring to, here's a link.

The factory back cover is plastic. From a heat sink point of view, an aluminum cover would be considerably better at spreading the heat, right?

Do you think this would make a notable difference? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Default Re: Cooling Question

Hello and welcome to the forums!

I don't think that would really help reduce the heat burden without something to sink the heat to. That stuff is intended to go between an IC and a heatsink, not to be the radiating surface.

And unless the phone chassis was originally designed to have a metal back (ex. HTC One M8) I think you'd have more problems with signal quality & excessive power drain due to interference with the radios if you went with a metal back. Just my $0.02.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you very much for the reply. Ok, I'll skip all of that stuff. Is there anything you can think of that would be able to reduce the temperature?

Avoid the combination of a bright screen, GPS, Mobile data, charging and CPU/graphics intensive apps - the fewer of those things you have going on at the same time the better.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of a solution to your issue.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk