How can I stop/prevent the AT&T update?

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I just got the message on my phone about the update. I do not want it to download or install on its own. Is there any way to prevent it from automatically downloading and installing?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you root your phone there's an app that you can freeze (I thought it was called SDM but I don't see it in the list) that will prevent the download.

Here's a process that I followed - YMMV:
- let it download the update (but defer the update to later)
- reboot into Recovery mode and clear the system cache (this also deletes the update.zip file that just got downloaded)
- reboot and tell the update to proceed - it'll fail because you deleted the file that it needs to do the update
- since it failed it won't bother you again

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So is rooting the only way? What is the easiest method of rooting? All I'm looking to do is prevent the at&t updates. I think I read I could use Titanium backup and freeze the at&t software updater.

gonzo0203

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Titanium Backup will freeze it. As far as how to root, couple different options. Do you have KNOX on your current ROM? My wife's S3 did, so i used the No KNOX trip way from MrWolf on Youtube, pretty easy but it did take some tinkering on my end. I had previously rooted it, and when I upgraded KNOX messed up some stuff on SU script. But I did get it to work, same method worked on my S4

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm on stock 4.1.2. On XDA forums there is a simple root method called "CASUAL" that looks easy. So then I would get the paid version of Titanium backup and just freeze the att updater?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Http://towelroot.com (Select the lambda symbol and download the apk and install it, then follow the instructions.)

Yes, you can use Titanium Backup (don't remember if you need the Pro version or if the free version will work).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Http://towelroot.com (Select the lambda symbol and download the apk and install it, then follow the instructions.)

Yes, you can use Titanium Backup (don't remember if you need the Pro version or if the free version will work).

Which is easier and safer, CASUAL or Towelroot? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to one or the other? I'm looking for simple and safe. Thanks.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Towelroot is much easier - no computer required. And I haven't read any reports of it causing any havoc - the worst that happens is it doesn't root the phone. (Disclaimer: my phone is already rooted so I didn't use Towelroot, but I did go through the steps up to the point of pressing the 'make it ra1n' button).

I used Casual awhile back and it worked fine - YMMV.

anon(1017475)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I updated to 4.4.2 and rooted my GS3 with Towelroot with no issues. So towelroot is safe. Google it on your phone and download the .apk on your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I used Towelroot and it worked perfectly. Literally took seconds. Then I installed the paid version of Titanium Backup and froze the AT&T update. Thanks everyone.