Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
08-21-2014 06:39 PM
5 replies
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do I stop a service update?

I had been getting notices about a service update, which I have cancelled. Today, I turned on the WiFi and it started downloading the update. It's at 4 percent now, so I disconnected the wifi. But if I go to reconnect the wifi, the update immediately continues to update. I don't want the update, How can I stop in from installing?

Global Posts
    10,408 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 5.0.1

Default Re: How do I stop a service update?

Is it a system update? What version are you currently on?
    In most cases, you will need root access to be able to freeze the updater. The only other way of course would be to take the update

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

I am curious to know why you wouldn't want the update? Being a service update or a firmware update I can tell you from experience, in most cases, it would be beneficial. what service are you using?

Global Posts
    10,408 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 5.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by anedge View Post
    I am curious to know why you wouldn't want the update? Being a service update or a firmware update I can tell you from experience, in most cases, it would be beneficial. what service are you using?
    In some cases, firmware upgrades can break certain features, or even cause more problems with the phone than before (although highly unlikely in the grand scheme). Some users just like being able to avoid updates until those issues are resolved or have an easy work around.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for your replies. I am on a Galaxy 3 with ATT..currently at 4.3. Everytime I've done an update, it has screwed up several things, including contacts and music, so I thought I'd skip this one. Apparently, this can not be done, so I guess I'll just have to live with it. I hope that any issues with its initial release have been solved.

Quote Originally Posted by hybucket View Post
    Apparently, this can not be done
    If you don't want the update do the following:
    1. Let the update finish downloading, but defer the installation
    2. Reboot into Recovery mode and clear the system cache
    3. Reboot into normal mode and accept the update - it'll fail, because the update.zip file got deleted when you cleared the cache, and it won't bother you again

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    UJ95x likes this.