How do I stop a service update?

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I had been getting notices about a service update, which I have cancelled. Today, I turned on the WiFi and it started downloading the update. It's at 4 percent now, so I disconnected the wifi. But if I go to reconnect the wifi, the update immediately continues to update. I don't want the update, How can I stop in from installing?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Is it a system update? What version are you currently on?
In most cases, you will need root access to be able to freeze the updater. The only other way of course would be to take the update

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

anedge

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I am curious to know why you wouldn't want the update? Being a service update or a firmware update I can tell you from experience, in most cases, it would be beneficial. what service are you using?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I am curious to know why you wouldn't want the update? Being a service update or a firmware update I can tell you from experience, in most cases, it would be beneficial. what service are you using?

In some cases, firmware upgrades can break certain features, or even cause more problems with the phone than before (although highly unlikely in the grand scheme). Some users just like being able to avoid updates until those issues are resolved or have an easy work around.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I am on a Galaxy 3 with ATT..currently at 4.3. Everytime I've done an update, it has screwed up several things, including contacts and music, so I thought I'd skip this one. Apparently, this can not be done, so I guess I'll just have to live with it. I hope that any issues with its initial release have been solved.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Apparently, this can not be done
If you don't want the update do the following:
1. Let the update finish downloading, but defer the installation
2. Reboot into Recovery mode and clear the system cache
3. Reboot into normal mode and accept the update - it'll fail, because the update.zip file got deleted when you cleared the cache, and it won't bother you again

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1