Broke AT&T SG3 LCD, found good deal on new Sprint SG3, can I make it work?

ClayCD

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I dropped my AT&T SG3 lcd to the point where the screen doesn't work at all.

I found a great deal from a friend on a Sprint SG3 thats practically brand new.

with my limited research it looks like making the Sprint SG3 work on the AT&T network is a no-go (tell me if this is incorrect).

So I'm wondering can I swap parts around between the two phones (main circuit board?) and get the sprint phone to work on the AT&T network??

thanks!!
Clay

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I dropped my AT&T SG3 lcd to the point where the screen doesn't work at all.

I found a great deal from a friend on a Sprint SG3 thats practically brand new.

with my limited research it looks like making the Sprint SG3 work on the AT&T network is a no-go (tell me if this is incorrect).

So I'm wondering can I swap parts around between the two phones (main circuit board?) and get the sprint phone to work on the AT&T network??

thanks!!
Clay

Swapping the screen from the Sprint SG3 to the ATT SG3 will work without any issues and should take no longer than 15 minutes provided you have some cellphone repair tools - correct screwdriver, spudger, guitar pick etc.

anon(1017475)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Someone else may chime in that has more knowledge than I on the subject...but...I believe the screen/digitizer are the same for the T999 i747 L710 i535 and i9300.

The Sprint GS3 is CDMA only...so you won't be using it on AT&T. Try swapping the screen/digitizer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

ClayCD

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Ok, complete screen swap could be an option, BUT Ive watched a few youtube videos and it appears the thing is glued into the frame. How the heck do you get it out without breaking it??

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Why do you need to get it out of the frame? The simplest thing is to swap the complete screen assembly. (If you don't like the colour of the new frame just put a cover on it - you should have some protection to prevent this from happening again anyway.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

ClayCD

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
AHHHH ok, I think I understand.

If I completely gut the Sprint phone down to the frame / screen, can I replace all of the parts with AT&T parts, and have it work?? If so I'm all over it!

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
AHHHH ok, I think I understand.

If I completely gut the Sprint phone down to the frame / screen, can I replace all of the parts with AT&T parts, and have it work?? If so I'm all over it!

Once you take the screws out and lift up all the flex connectors with a spudger the entire LCD assembly should come off and then in reverse order just put the flex circuits from your motherboard onto the Sprint LCD and put the screws back in reverse order. Oh and do not forget to get the sticker off your LCD and put it on the replacement LCD, that way everything will look genuine:) Good luck. Start to finish no more than 15 minutes, trust me, I have actually done this repair:)

ClayCD

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Ok, right or wrong, I've got a semi-workable phone.

I disassembled the Sprint phone removed everything down to, and including the motherboard.

I did the same on the AT&T phone.

Then I put the AT&T junk into the sprint case. I wasn't comfortable trying to get the screen out of the sprint chassis. It wasn't just falling out, and I wasn't going to break it.

There were a few differences:

1) the screw that holds down the boards is in a different place on each phone, so there is no black screw holding the board in place.
2) something at the bottom of the motherboard isn't allowing the contacts for the home button to make a good connection, so its unreliable.
3) There is a relief in the AT&T phone frame that isn't in the sprint frame, so the power button doesnt make contact at all, and leaves a big gap.

This definitley isn't plug and play but it can be made to work Im sure of it.

For now I can work around these things, but I've got a shop with tons of tools so I plan to modify the sprint frame to allow for the differences so that everything functions. Hell, its only got to last until february ;)

ClayCD

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Just as a follow-up.

I've been running this setup for a week now with no issues.

Over the last weekend I did pull the phone back apart, and found where all the interferences were. I used the old phone frame for reference then took a dremel and relieved the sprint frame so that the AT&T board would lay in flat, or at least very close.

In the process I taped up the phone with painters tape everywhere I wasn't working so I would keep dust contamination to a minimum in the rest of the phone.

Once I was done I cleaned everything out with a brush, and then blew it out with some air. Then I took small hobby razor blade knife and cut out some electrical tape to place over the exposed bare aluminum to prevent any potential issues between the circuit board and the frame (ie rubbing, or contact with a circuit)

Once reassembled everything went together like it should. The rear pieces fit and the rear cover looks as it should. Ive been using the phone since with no issues, and all of my cases fit just fine.

So, let it be known that this swap can be done, but to be "right" it takes a little work.

thanks,
clay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar