There's a new update for the S3!

Sambo41

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I just checked for an update and there was an AT&T update available. It's over 68MB. Does anyone know what it changes?

fredd17

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I did the upgrade 2 days ago... I can only assume its just an upgrade to prepare it for the lollipop?!! ☺ Or maybe it's my wishful thinking. 😔

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Very wishful. S3 is too old for Lollipop, especially given how long Samsung takes to push anything out. This was the last update we'll see on this device.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Mine's installing now too (SF Bay area). I just returned from a trip to the East coast and had the weirdest experience. The lock screen maintained Pacific time while the home screen switched to East coast time. Hopefully this update will fix that and maybe even improve battery life, LOL. Sure wish we'd get Lollipop :)

Soggy Paws

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Just got mine today for my 2 S3's, model SGH-I747. Though I didn't make a note of everything before and after, I did notice these changes on the About page.

Kernel version DATE changed to Oct 1. Maybe the last number in the Kernel Version changed. Kernel version now 3.4.0-1514807

My baseband version changed. Didn't write down the old one, but before I did the 2nd phone update, they were different, now they are the same I747UCUFNJ1

My build number is KOT49H.I747UCUFNJ1

Anybody figure out yet what's different?

Android Version didn't change (still 4.4.2)

Soggy Paws

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
By googling on the build number I did find the AT&T official release notice for this update, but it doesn't really say what it fixes. I tried to paste the URL for it here, but the forum won't let me because I don't have enough posts.

But this is all it says:

Update summary
AT&T released a new software update for the Samsung Galaxy S III (SGH-i747) via Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) over Wi-Fi on November 12, 2014.

Software Update Includes
- Android OS Enhancements

On the xda-developers forum, someone said "It just looks like more bloat and a patched kernel so towelroot will no longer work. It might even lock the bootloader." and someone else said "I'm afraid it does soft brick a rooted phone."

Fortunately I'm not rooted, so I don't have to worry. Though I sure wish I could get rid of the damned AT&T block on sharing wifi hotspot. Even out of the country on a different sim card, I can't use the hotspot on my phone because that darned bit of software. Have been considering rooting, but am timid. This is why, I guess.