Google Play Services won't update

hughhyatt

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Numerous applications are giving errors, saying they require an update to Google Play Services. When I try to update Google Play Services, after a long period of time—½ hour or so—I get the following notification:

Error downloading “Google Play Services”
Update for “Google Play Services” could not be downloaded due to an error. (495)

When I tap the notification, I am taken to the Play Store and the following message:

Error
Update for “Google Play Services” could not be downloaded due to an error. (495)

The dozens of other apps with updates available won't update due to download errors, usually error 495. I can't download and install new apps.

I've attempted every suggestion I could find online, including: (1) clearing Google Play Services' data and cache; (2) uninstalling and reinstalling Google Play Services; (3) deleting and re-adding my Google account. None of these helped. I'm at a total loss as to what to do next, without resetting and wiping my phone. Any suggestions short of that would be appreciated.

Running 4.1.1 with a very strong wifi signal.

hughhyatt

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I tried clearing cache/data from the Google Play Store app; it didn't help. I have no "Download Manager" app, just two apps named "Downloads" and one named "Downloader". One of the Downloads apps never has any cache/data to clear. I clear the cache/data for the other Downloads app on every reboot to prevent the process "android.process.media" from sucking up my battery's juice in a short period of time. I tried clearing cache/data for the "Downloader" app; it didn't help either.

hughhyatt

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea what I did, but suddenly all my apps were updated and everything is running smoothly again. Unbelievable! Thanks to everyone who chipped in to help!

Rayman Levine

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Numerous applications are giving errors, saying they require an update to Google Play Services. When I try to update Google Play Services, after a long period of time—½ hour or so—I get the following notification:

When I tap the notification, I am taken to the Play Store and the following message:

The dozens of other apps with updates available won't update due to download errors, usually error 495. I can't download and install new apps.

I've attempted every suggestion I could find online, including: (1) clearing Google Play Services' data and cache; (2) uninstalling and reinstalling Google Play Services; (3) deleting and re-adding my Google account. None of these helped. I'm at a total loss as to what to do next, without resetting and wiping my phone. Any suggestions short of that would be appreciated.

Running 4.1.1 with a very strong wifi signal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power