"Unfortunately, settings has stopped working" AFTER Factory Reset. Cant get past language select.

John Rodriguez5

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
"Unfortunately, settings has stopped working" AFTER Factory Reset. Cant get past language select.

No rooting of any kind, nothing fancy. All I did on this phone was browse the web and listen to music.

A few days ago my phone began to get the "Unfortunately settings has stopped working error." I tried rebooting in safe mode, I cleared the cache, and the issue continued. Every resource pointed towards factory reset so that's what I did and now my newly formatted phone won't make it past the Language Select screen because of this issue. I click a language, and I hit next, and I get the exact same error message. I tried safe mode and again the same error.

I am frustrated, I don't know what to do. The phone isn't even that old and it was working perfectly fine before any of this. Here are some related threads since it appears I am not alone and AT&T has yet to reply to any of the tech support requests on their forums:

forums.att.com/t5/Android/Setting-crashing-on-Galaxy-S3-in-update-on-Aug-18th/m-p/4297185#M62406

forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/572976-can-t-figure-out-how-fix-unfortunately-settings-has-stopped-working.html

Alex Vue

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Re: "Unfortunately, settings has stopped working" AFTER Factory Reset. Cant get past language select

Same problem, Galaxy S3. The problem started on Friday August 28, 2015. After an update from my carrier at&t or something like that my options did not work any more. Tried many ways to fix it, but ultimately hard factory reseted it. I only use my phone for games and calls, nothing too fancy. After reseting it now its stuck on the begining dark screen and it just keeps saying, "Unfortunately, settings has stopped." I have only had this phone for a good year- two years. its in decent shape and it only stopped working after the update. Hoping theres a solution to this, I seriously do not want to buy another phone..

foo de fa fa

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: "Unfortunately, settings has stopped working" AFTER Factory Reset. Cant get past language select

I am experiencing this issue as well. My phone may be garbage now...

JDroidz

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site

I'm having an issue with this too! I get to the end and press finish before it goes to touch Wizard and my phone goes back To Name Device and "Unfortunately , Settings has stopped working" pops up every time i press 'Finish' after 'Learn about key features'. The reason I hard reset my phone came about when I replaced my LCD Digitizer thinking that would activate the touch screen that wasn't responding at all(I was using my wireless keyboard and mouse on my s4 while touch wasn't active). This of course did not work. I received another replacement hoping it would fix this settings stop issue. That is not the case. Are there any suggestions!? My phone was working fine prior to my damaged screen.

John Bateman

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

Exact same issue for me.

This all started when I got force pushed a security update from Fido (Canada provider).

I was getting TouchWiz and TouchWiz Home stopped errors. Cleared the caches, and all that in recovery mode, nothing, factory reset (As this should be "safe") but now I have a brick on my hands.

Not to happy about this as they have no clue what the issue is.

-
J

Brian Moses1

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

SOLVED - Factory reset didn't work on my Galaxy S3. I called Samsung and they recommended taking it to the Samsung booth at BestBuy and have the Samsung technician do a 'reflash'. It worked...now my Galaxy is back to normal .... no more 'Unfortunately,settings has stopped. The technician is an employee of Samsung.

hlhunkin

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site

SOLUTION - if this problem persists after factory reset

I found Kies could be used to completely reset the phone by using the 'Firmware upgrade and installation' option in the 'Tools' menu. This was on OSX but presumably the same feature exists on Windows version.

My phone was bricked after upgrading to 4.4.4 then doing a factory reset, which ended up telling me 'Unfortunately, [most applications] has stopped working', and not allowing me to get past the setup stage on the phone. The firmware reset in Kies solved the problem and gave me a clean 4.4.4 install which is now working great.