Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ken CleanAir System
  • 1 Post By Scott Kenyon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Wallet for AT&T HTC One around the corner?

I just read that HTC One owners on Sprint will be able to access Google Wallet from Play Store. Maybe AT&T will give in soon?

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Google Wallet for AT&T HTC One around the corner?

Sprint has allowed Google Wallet for quite some time, a buddy of mine on Sprint uses it on his Galaxy S3 all the time. For Sprint users, the app just needs to be updated for the One (as far as I'm aware anyway). AT&T is another story altogether .. the only devices they allow Wallet on are non-AT&T branded devices like the Nexus phones. It would be nice if that were to change, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Ken CleanAir System View Post
    Sprint has allowed Google Wallet for quite some time, a buddy of mine on Sprint uses it on his Galaxy S3 all the time. For Sprint users, the app just needs to be updated for the One (as far as I'm aware anyway). AT&T is another story altogether .. the only devices they allow Wallet on are non-AT&T branded devices like the Nexus phones. It would be nice if that were to change, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Thanks. I had no idea Sprint has allowed use for quite some time. If only AT&T would jump on the bandwagon and give us One users this feature.

AT&T, Verizon, and T Mobile are backing a payment system called ISIS. I doubt they will give in on allowing Google Wallet anytime soon, if ever. I hope I'm wrong, honestly, but as I said, I'm not holding my breath, lol.
    Last edited by Ken CleanAir System; 05-16-2013 at 05:57 PM.
    ICEmayne likes this.

Global Posts
    3,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    unNamed v2.2.1

I think it's silly that AT&T even makes an effort to block Google Wallet. If I can use it on my nexus, why not on my One.

AT&T, Verizon, and T Mobile are backing a payment system called ISIS. I doubt they will give in on allowing Google Wallet anytime soon, if ever. I hope I'm wrong, honestly, but as I said, I'm not holding my breath, lol.
    I am having a difficult time understanding how restriction of Google Wallet doesn't break the laws regarding the use of the LTE spectrum. Unrestricted access to software and services is part of that law.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
    I am having a difficult time understanding how restriction of Google Wallet doesn't break the laws regarding the use of the LTE spectrum. Unrestricted access to software and services is part of that law.
    Google wallet has nothing to do with LTE. It uses NFC. You need no network connection to use Google wallet.
    Anyway, I'll be working on this soon for att HTC One. I decided to try to enjoy the phone stock for a few days before I go screwing with it for once.

ICEmayne likes this.

Gunnyman is right. As part of the block C purchase from the government, there is a clause that states that the carrier is not allowed to restrict access to software and/or services (paraphrasing of course)

Quote Originally Posted by trinikartel86 View Post
    Gunnyman is right. As part of the block C purchase from the government, there is a clause that states that the carrier is not allowed to restrict access to software and/or services (paraphrasing of course)

This is what I was talking about. Thanks

from the play store: bold text added by me
    Important Notes:
    The Isis Mobile Wallet requires a special SIM card to work.
    You can get this free SIM card at an AT&T store in Austin or Salt Lake City.
    given that, it's being trialed in those cities. with roll-out to the rest of us at some point.
    ~gabriel

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

The other HTC Ones lack the hardware for Wallet to work. Teams of people smarter than me have tried everything they can think of. There's just not a way to get it to work. Apparently the ISIS sim cards contain the secure element part for our device. Not really sure how that works....or if that sim would work for wallet.