Locked Out of Phone, forgot original Gmail password

Laurie Gunshore

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I recently got permanently locked out of my HTC One X after too many incorrect pattern attempts. I'm currently at a screen that is requesting that I log in with my Gmail username and password. I haven't logged into Gmail since I originally made the account, which was when I first bought the phone (1 yr ago). Since I knew for a fact that I wasn't going to remember what the password was, I went onto my computer and changed the password. The new password is not being accepted which leads me to believe that it will only accept the password that was active when the phone was locked in the first place. I've called AT&T, HTC and Google... all of which told me my only option was a factory reset. Because I have pictures and videos of my recent Prom and other precious documents on the phone, it makes it hard for me to accept a factory reset as my only option. Any help on this subject would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure you're talking about the HTC One? You said you got the phone a year ago? the phone has only been out for just over a month.

Also, did you ever link up a secondary email to your Gmail for emergency access? If so, you can have an email sent to that email with your password.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I recently got permanently locked out of my HTC One after too many incorrect pattern attempts. I'm currently at a screen that is requesting that I log in with my Gmail username and password. I haven't logged into Gmail since I originally made the account, which was when I first bought the phone (1 yr ago). Since I knew for a fact that I wasn't going to remember what the password was, I went onto my computer and changed the password. The new password is not being accepted which leads me to believe that it will only accept the password that was active when the phone was locked in the first place. I've called AT&T, HTC and Google... all of which told me my only option was a factory reset. Because I have pictures and videos of my recent Prom and other precious documents on the phone, it makes it hard for me to accept a factory reset as my only option. Any help on this subject would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
The HTC One isn't even a year old, maybe you meant the HTC One X?

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Go onto a computer to google's website and click on the forgot password link. They should send you a new one via an alternate email address (you can use a new gmail address if you make one).

Login on the computer to your gmail account, change the password to something you will remember.

Then log out and wait a few minutes. Then try the new password on the phone. You should be able to log in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Go onto a computer to google's website and click on the forgot password link. They should send you a new one via an alternate email address (you can use a new gmail address if you make one).

Login on the computer to your gmail account, change the password to something you will remember.

Then log out and wait a few minutes. Then try the new password on the phone. You should be able to log in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
? What? Sorry this won't work.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Laurie Gunshore

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
No, unfortunately I didn't set up a secondary g-mail. I did purchase the phone last August. I thank you for taking the time.

I thank everyone for trying to help! I see now I forgot the "X." It is a HTC 1X. I tried calling Google, but after almost an hour, thinking they were helping me, all they were trying to do was sell me a protection plan for my PC. I have changed my password and can get on my account on line, but not on my phone. The phone will only take the original password. I can't believe there is not some kind of back up on this phone or that Google can't email me my password or over ride the account. Again, thanks alot for trying!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shailesh Chaudhari

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I recently got permanently locked out of my INTEX ibuddy connect tab after too many incorrect pattern attempts. I'm currently at a screen that is requesting that I log in with my Gmail username and password. I haven't logged into Gmail since I originally made the account, which was when I first bought the phone (1 yr ago). Since I knew for a fact that I wasn't going to remember what the password was, I went onto my computer and changed the password. All of which told me my only option was a factory reset. Because I have pictures and videos of my recent Prom and other precious documents on the phone, it makes it hard for me to accept a factory reset as my only option. Any help on this subject would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
i am so worried my cloudfon is lock due to that pattern i make, it lead me to my gmail account w/c i really forgot was it is... how can i retrieve it when even my altrnative email i seem not remember... helpout pls...

txaggies07

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This thread is comforting. Seriously, the phones are locking themselves down like they are suppose to. Anything less would be terrible security.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

spliffinsab

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
my son locked me out of my phone and changed my pass code its a number code too. ive attempted to unlock it 225 times and its still not coming up to the screen where i log in with my gmail. what can i do?

AshtonVibe

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, if there is a pin or password lock on the phone, you HAVE to do a master reset, or get the password right.

Also, if there is a pattern lock, and now you have the phone locked, do NOT change the Gmail password. If you do, the phone wont match the password (old/original Gmail password), stored on the phone, ever. You must then do a master reset. You can change the Gmail password if you forget it, but BEFORE you happen to get locked out of the phone. Hope this helps. FYI, there are many recovery options you can use with Gmail. You can use your mobile number, any working email, security questions, etc. Gmail recovery is a REALLY good program. Bottom line, if you are forgetful, or don't use services often, take precautions. Don't go: "Hey, I'm going to lock my house up, and my car, set my keys somewhere, and not bother to remember where." or "I am going to put a password on my computer, but not remember it, but I'm also not going to bother locking my computer... Oh crap, my son just locked my computer...."

Posted via Android Central App

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Sounds to me like you stole the phone and are trying to get into it. No way you've had this phone for a year; it's only been out six months. Sorry, go fish in another pond.

Jazmine Potts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I forgot my password and username to m phone I have a android Huawei and I had to accounts but I forgot both of them .
I need help like asap

MJThib

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
1. Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then press and hold the POWER button.
2. Wait for the screen with the three Android images to appear, and then release the POWER and VOLUME DOWN buttons.
3. Press VOLUME DOWN to select FACTORY RESET, and then press the POWER button.