Voice and data simultaneously?

Bob Heathcote

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm having no luck accessing the internet on my HTC One with AT&T here in San Jose, CA during phone calls. I have tried many times and it never works. Yesterday I finally tried the speedtest app while on the phone and I got 0.5Mbps down and a solid ZERO upload. Typical in this area is 47Mbps down and 23Mbps upload while not on the phone, i.e. when no voice calls are active . I heard ATT uses 3G for data when on a call but even that doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm having no luck accessing the internet on my HTC One with AT&T here in San Jose, CA during phone calls. I have tried many times and it never works. Yesterday I finally tried the speedtest app while on the phone and I got 0.5Mbps down and a solid ZERO upload. Typical in this area is 47Mbps down and 23Mbps upload while not on the phone, i.e. when no voice calls are active . I heard ATT uses 3G for data when on a call but even that doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Voice and data wont work unless its on 3G or higher
2G will shut off when on the phone because its the same frequency
your speeds sound like 2G, check your network settings

Bob Heathcote

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Voice and data wont work unless its on 3G or higher
2G will shut off when on the phone because its the same frequency
your speeds sound like 2G, check your network settings

The HTC One shows along top status bar "4G LTE" until I get on a call. While on a call the "LTE" goes away but it still says 4G. Sounds like this is not normal and I should call the carrier to troubleshoot.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
The HTC One shows along top status bar "4G LTE" until I get on a call. While on a call the "LTE" goes away but it still says 4G. Sounds like this is not normal and I should call the carrier to troubleshoot.

That sounds like a good option. But I am sure they will just make you reset your APNs to default, and or reset your phone. So try that first

Bob Heathcote

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
That sounds like a good option. But I am sure they will just make you reset your APNs to default, and or reset your phone. So try that first

Can someone test this for me?

Download the speedtest app, run the test and check your speed. Then get on a phone call and run the app again. Please tel me your test results. Thanks!

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I have had no problems using g data on a call with my htc one on AT&T.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This is 110% normal. Calling will do nothing. AT&T does not have VoLTE yet (voice over LTE) so when you're on LTE and get a call it drops to 4g only (aka 3g with HSPA) just like it does for me on T-Mobile.

Now as for the speed while on 4g and a call... That's an issue. It shouldn't be that slow at all.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

crackcookie

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
This isn't a phone issue this seems to be a carrier issue with your current location. As stated, as long as you have 3G you should be able to do both at the same time, thus, you must not be on 3G. Call ATT and complain about that, maybe they can chop something off of your bill

Bob Heathcote

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
This isn't a phone issue this seems to be a carrier issue with your current location. As stated, as long as you have 3G you should be able to do both at the same time, thus, you must not be on 3G. Call ATT and complain about that, maybe they can chop something off of your bill

Check the post I made in the Galaxy S4 forum - many more people replied ATT is throttling the HSPA+ to 2G speeds, all across the nation. It's quite pathetic - even updating a simple twitter feed is ridiculously slow.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Check the post I made in the Galaxy S4 forum - many more people replied ATT is throttling the HSPA+ to 2G speeds, all across the nation. It's quite pathetic - even updating a simple twitter feed is ridiculously slow.

Sounds like an AT&T move though.. Advertise voice and data same time but throttle data to nothing whole on a call so.. You basically can't. Very sad.

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Just called my local theater and caught the recording, while on the recording, I accessed the internet at my normal rate of speed, that I would be, if I were not on a call. I'm in South Louisiana. AT&T. Got to be unique to your area.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just called my local theater and caught the recording, while on the recording, I accessed the internet at my normal rate of speed, that I would be, if I were not on a call. I'm in South Louisiana. AT&T. Got to be unique to your area.

Speed test or just normal browsing?

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Speed test or just normal browsing?

Wow, I stand corrected! My speed test during the call dropped my download from about 8mg dl, to less than half a megabyte. (Note: The first test I did, I did not run a speed test, I just simply accessed facebook while on the phone and it "seemed" just as fast.) Going to test my iphone and see what it does.

EDIT: Does the same with the iphone, data less than half a MB. Well, at least I can access the internet while talking right :-D

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site

No throttling here in Maryland. Talking and surfing work fine here on 4G.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that is a carrier limitation. Not specific to any phone...

Yeah its pretty crappy they ran a campaign talking about talking and surfing and now they limit you whole you do both lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad